Teaching online

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Mitch
Tourist
Great Britain

Teaching online

Post by Mitch »

I have been teaching English online for years, working my way round SEA
Pays enough for my rent, rice and beers.
I was just interested to now if anyone here it? Trying a month soon In PP if the internet is do-able
In Phili right now but anxious to get away on my travels soon.
Any advice ?Cheers
toadinthehole
Tourist
Taiwan

Re: Teaching online

Post by toadinthehole »

Are you teaching Chinese kids online? Or who?

We see these ads all the time on the EFL recruitment sites and the pay-rate
appears to be better, sometimes much better, than hourly EFL wages in Cambodia.

It's an intrusive question, but how many hours do you work a week and how much do
you make?

As for internet connections in Cambodia, all the major towns have excellent
coverage (and competition in a very competitive market) but smaller places
in the provinces are very poorly served.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Mitch wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:17 am In Phili right now but anxious to get away on my travels soon.
Lucky Phil!

Internet sucks or it's super. Take into account frequent power cuts, even in PP, especially in the rainy season.

Plus the visa situation. You'll only get a 3 month visa. Possibly.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

I knew a guy that made decent cash teaching online from Phnom Penh. Can't recall the employer, but he made more than the factory schools pay for less work, and seemed to have few issues with internet and power. Requires some careful planning of where to live. Some areas have no issues, others will be constantly problematic.

Rent in a building that has a backup genset and get a 4g dongle modem as backup for a fibre connection and you should be fine.

The current shadow over visa extensions will be the killer, as noted above.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Jesus guys, he's teaching online, not moving 100k worth of stocks on the market every few hours... I've had maybe one very short power cut in the past year. I would just get a fast connection and not sweat the rest. Is teaching online tedious? Sounds like chatting with Chinese toddlers several hours per day would get tiresome.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Sounds like chatting with Chinese toddlers several hours per day would get tiresome.
I used to teach online for a few hours each evening, after my day classes. I'm based in Myanmar and I was teaching English to kids in Vietnam, mostly one-to-one, easy work.

I could easily add $1,500 to my school salary...

But stable and fast internet is important, both of which are lacking somewhat in Myanmar. I stopped after a couple of months because my internet connection wasn't good.

Now I see more vacancies for online teachers than in-class teachers. I'm mulling about returning to an idyllic spot in Thailand that has a fast internet connection, and teaching online full-time (work permit issues etc not considered..). I'd make more money than my full-time job at an international school.
Mitch
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Mitch »

toadinthehole wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:55 am Are you teaching Chinese kids online? Or who?

We see these ads all the time on the EFL recruitment sites and the pay-rate
appears to be better, sometimes much better, than hourly EFL wages in Cambodia.

It's an intrusive question, but how many hours do you work a week and how much do
you make?

As for internet connections in Cambodia, all the major towns have excellent
coverage (and competition in a very competitive market) but smaller places
in the provinces are very poorly served.
No it's ok, sure.
I have been busy doing it for last 5 years now.
it is a company which Chinese kids. THOUSANDS OF 'EM.
Maybe average month 1200 or more.
Yes it is very tedious and VERY unsociable but as long as i got net I can work and copious amounts of beer afterwards.
I would also look for a day.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:36 pm Jesus guys, he's teaching online, not moving 100k worth of stocks on the market every few hours... I've had maybe one very short power cut in the past year.
youve definitely not been living in SHV thats for sure!! earlier this year we were getting powercuts nearly daily and some for multiple hours
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Mitch
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Mitch »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:07 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:36 pm Jesus guys, he's teaching online, not moving 100k worth of stocks on the market every few hours... I've had maybe one very short power cut in the past year.
youve definitely not been living in SHV thats for sure!! earlier this year we were getting powercuts nearly daily and some for multiple hours
Yeah same here, crap some days for hours.
thats why I gotta portable Gen.
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

Mitch wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:07 am
Yeah same here, crap some days for hours.
thats why I gotta portable Gen.
Strange I saw saw the preview to this thread on tapatalk, and assumed someone was teaching online beacause somedays they crap for hours and therefore like to work at home.
Let's face it - that is a big benefit to working at home.... your own throne.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic