Family Death Overseas

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Family Death Overseas

Post by Rain Dog »

I guess this is the week for morbid threads considering Phuket Richard's "Pull the Plug" thread.

I just learned today my Mom has passed away back in the USA. I write this not hoping for sympathy or condolences as it is something all of us go through and likely many of us have been through already. In fact I had to bury my dad about 25 years ago when I was far less mature to deal with these things.

What I am looking for is a sense of perspective, preferably from those of you who have been out of your home countries for many years. The issue I have is whether I fly back for a symbolic presence at a funeral. As background, My Mom has had many "issues" and neither myself nor my sister has had any contact with her for over 10 years. In fact i Have only seen or spoken to her 4 or 5 times over the past 20 years. There is no sense of loss on my side only some sadness and regret.

My sister is on site and able to handle the administrative aspects. A funeral would likely be held with only sister and maybe one or two friends attending. I really do not want to go (for time, financial, and emotional reasons) and my sister says it would be pointless and unnecessary. Yet a part of me reminds me of "duty and responsibility" and I wonder how much I would regret not taking the long and costly journey back as the Prodigal Son.

As Murphy's law would have it my Passport is with a Visa service and will not be back until friday Pm -- so I have a day or two to mull it over.

Any informed perspective would be appreciated.

Meanwhile this served as a good reminder for me to tell my sister that should she ever be contacted as my "next of kin" that an incinerator and a dump into the Mekong would be fully satisfactory in my case -- with no need for her to fly out here and do anything.
Last edited by Rain Dog on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Family Death Overseas

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Really sorry to hear that, RD, and I have had a similar experience. As far as whether you should return, practical reasons aside, I think that is only a decision you can make based on your relationship with your mum. Would she have wanted you to be at her funeral, or would she have preferred you carry on where you are?

Five years ago I was living in Sumatra when I received an email to get back home as mother had only a couple of weeks to live. I got going the next morning and had to get a ferry, then a five hour bus ride, flight to KL, then flight to Perth. It took me twenty four hours to get home. As I arrived they were wheeling her corpse out of the house and into the ambulance.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:Really sorry to hear that, RD, and I have had a similar experience. As far as whether you should return, practical reasons aside, I think that is only a decision you can make based on your relationship with your mum. Would she have wanted you to be at her funeral, or would she have preferred you carry on where you are?

Five years ago I was living in Sumatra when I received an email to get back home as mother had only a couple of weeks to live. I got going the next morning and had to get a ferry, then a five hour bus ride, flight to KL, then flight to Perth. It took me twenty four hours to get home. As I arrived they were wheeling her corpse out of the house and into the ambulance.
Thanks for that. Of course it is a lot different when the person is still alive and you sound like you made every possible effort. It reminds me when my dad died. Suffered what was described as a very mild stroke and treated and released. I debated rushing home (about an 8 hour drive) but was assured all was ok and went off to a ballgame with a bunch of buddies. Got home and had about 20 urgent messages on my answering machine (no mobile in those days) talking about a second stroke. I rushed an 8 hour drive home late night/early morning and full of stadium beer only to find dad brain dead but on a respirator. For that effort I got to be the one to decide whether to "pull the plug".

Carried that with me a long time.
Last edited by Rain Dog on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Condolences Friend.

My Dad passed aged 93 in January after a lengthy in home hospice period.

I had always feared that I may not be able to make it back there due to financial circumstances.
The fact that I was able to go there was a great support to my Mother.

In the aftermath of his death, I have become a lot less worried about my own eventual demise, I feel a lot calmer now.
I have not been able to work out why.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

I'm sorry, RD. Sometimes losing an estranged parent can be more difficult than one you were close with. Personally, I wouldn't factor my relationship with the family member who passed so much as my relationship with who is left. If you think your sister or other relatives would be grateful for your presence, I'd go.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

So sorry to hear this. My deepest sympathies.

My thought, and what i intend to do when faced with this same decision, if at all possible, fly back. Regret is a tough and lasting thing. In the short term flying back will cause some financial pain and inconvenience, but that will fade with time. In the long term it is unlikely you will regret returning for this, but it is possible that you'll regret it if you don't, and it can't be taking back later. For sake of future peace of mind, I would do this now.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

My condolences, Rain Dog.

As for your call for counsel, I would agree with LTO and Giblet.

But it is up to you in the end and you know your family, entourage and circumstances the best.
The only thing I would advise is to lead one's life with the purpose at the end to be able to look back and have no regret whatsoever about things you could have done but didn't and things you shouldn't have done but did.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

I was travelling around in Iran when my mother's dementia severly deteriorated in 2009. To this day I'm very happy I decided to go back. Fortunately I was in time and we could say our goodbyes to her as a family, everyone was present and she had a very lucid hour or two before she went into a coma and had a severe abdominal bleeding. She passed away a few days later.

RD, my sincere condolences with the loss of your mother. I strongly agree with Joon, LTO and giblet! Whatever you decide: good luck!
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

My grandfather died a couple of years ago. I didn't return for the funeral despite being somewhat close to him. He had been ill for a long time and it was expected as his condition deteriorated. I've never regretted the decision or even thought about it until seeing this thread.

RIP
Scarier than malaria.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I know you're not looking for condolences RD, but sorry for your loss. My 2c worth is that if there is ANY chance that in the future you might regret not having gone, you should go. Even if this is in terms of other family relationships, and how those relationships might look later.

Grief is a strange thing, and I've learned that there are two things we might grieve for: the way things actually were (for those lucky enough to have had good family relationships), and the way we wished they could have been (for the rest of us). Those of us that had a difficult time of it often find it so much harder laying down the burden when someone passes, because now there is NO chance it will ever be different. We knew it wouldn't change, but now it can't, and that's a deeper form of grief.

Not attempting to lecture you, RD, this is for my ongoing benefit as much as anyone else. Sorry for your pain, man.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic