Insurance for Long-Term Travellers

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jasper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Insurance for Long-Term Travellers

Post by Jasper »

Hi, all

I'll be heading to SHV in a couple of weeks and I've been looking for a new insurer.
My current one will only cover me if I come back to Spain between visiting each new country.

After many, many hours of internet trawling, I came across this company, using AXA policies.

https://bigcattravelinsurance.com/

Their cover can be tailor-made to what you actually need, but the big plus for me is that they'll cover me for being away from my home country for up to two years for around the same cost as my previous multi-trip policy, but with improved benefits.

They cover one-way trips (again, perfect for me as I don't yet know how or when I'm getting back home....if ever!), and also those already away in a foreign country.

As we all know, the real test of an insurance company is how efficient they are when you really need them.
Has anybody any experience of these guys, or does anyone know of a comparable company that offers the same type of policy?
There are plenty of positive reviews about taking out a policy, but I can't find anybody that's had to make a claim.

Breaks my heart giving money to the blood-suckers, but I'm a little older and wiser now.
In 35 years of travelling, last year was the first time I've bothered to get cover, but only because I was going on a skiing holiday!
Milk was a bad choice
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Insurance for Long-Term Travellers

Post by walkjivefly »

Never heard of bigcattravelinsurance but another possibility for you is worldnomads.com

Very flexible but not cheap

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

if you look for "backpacker" travel insurance thats usually open for country hopping, not too expensive either
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Most of the UK long term or backpacker travel insurance companies have this half hidden or badly worded clause. You have to have been resident (actually living in Uk for the last 6 months) before you can take out the cover legally. They will still take your money, but I would hate to make a claim. Caught me out for 2 years. I thought it meant, have I been a resident (I have always kept my Uk residency status) which is different. Been a resident of a country or residing somewhere not the same!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Insurance! Always known has legalised thieves.
Any Cambodian insurers?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jasper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Jasper »

walkjivefly wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:46 am Never heard of bigcattravelinsurance but another possibility for you is worldnomads.com

Very flexible but not cheap

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I looked at them but there's no way I could justify giving them 837€!

I'd rather take my chances!
Milk was a bad choice
Jasper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Jasper »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:58 am if you look for "backpacker" travel insurance thats usually open for country hopping, not too expensive either
Yeah, this company does a 'backpacker' policy as well for the same price.

Another advantage of using them is that I don't have to tell them the countries I want to visit before I go there, whereas with some other insurers I'd have to get in touch with them each time I wanted to travel which I couldn't be arsed doing!
Milk was a bad choice
Jasper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Jasper »

Fourkinnel wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:03 pm Most of the UK long term or backpacker travel insurance companies have this half hidden or badly worded clause. You have to have been resident (actually living in Uk for the last 6 months) before you can take out the cover legally. They will still take your money, but I would hate to make a claim. Caught me out for 2 years. I thought it meant, have I been a resident (I have always kept my Uk residency status) which is different. Been a resident of a country or residing somewhere not the same!
That's a good point to watch out for, thanks!

I haven't lived in the UK since 2001.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading some small print for the next three days!
Milk was a bad choice
Jasper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Jasper »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:19 pm Insurance! Always known has legalised thieves.
Any Cambodian insurers?
I'm with you on that. I despise the fuckers!

Yeah, I got in touch with a French guy in PP and the quote ran into the thousands of Dollars.

I'll pass on that, I think.
Milk was a bad choice
Jasper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Jasper »

Jasper wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:36 pm
Fourkinnel wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:03 pm Most of the UK long term or backpacker travel insurance companies have this half hidden or badly worded clause. You have to have been resident (actually living in Uk for the last 6 months) before you can take out the cover legally. They will still take your money, but I would hate to make a claim. Caught me out for 2 years. I thought it meant, have I been a resident (I have always kept my Uk residency status) which is different. Been a resident of a country or residing somewhere not the same!
That's a good point to watch out for, thanks!

I haven't lived in the UK since 2001.

If anyone needs me, I'll be reading some small print for the next three days!
I've just had a quick chat online with them and they sent me the policy wording.......

Home Country
Means any country in Europe, (excluding Switzerland, Belarus, Russia, Montenegro and the Ukraine) that the Insured Person normally resides
in.

I'm running out of excuses not to give them my money now, dammit!
Milk was a bad choice
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic