The oldest satellite still in orbit

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

The oldest satellite still in orbit

Post by boozyoldman »

This is a good site

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2017100 ... l-in-orbit

Oldies here recall the first Sputnik and its beep-beep-beep and how short a time it was before
Armstrong and Aldrin walked on the moon (probably the fastest technical leap in human
history - although the giant leaps of early aviation and radio are comparable.)

Every so often Americans - in their insufferable present-day hubris - need to be gently reminded who put the first satellite in orbit,
sent the first dog, man and woman into orbit, sent the first clanking robot car to the moon's surface and sent rockets to Venus and Mars - all
this from a country seemingly incapable of producing decent cars, bicycles, shoes, blue jeans* or watches.

* Oldies will recall how smart an idea it was to take Levi jeans and shirts to the entire Eastern Bloc.
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: The oldest satellite still in orbit

Post by Luigi »

In Cuba the Lada's are highly coveted form their simplicity. Many many still goin strong. Also saw many a Soviet made top mounted compressor refrigerator still running. Noisy bastards.

From; http://www.ucsusa.org

Satellite Quick Facts (includes launches through 12/31/16)
Total number of operating satellites: 1,459
United States: 593 Russia: 135 China: 192 Other: 539
LEO: 803 MEO: 96 Elliptical: 38 GEO: 522
Total number of US satellites: 593
Civil: 10 Commercial: 297 Government: 136 Military: 150
MikeMike58
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeMike58 »

Vanguard I was launched 13 days before I was born. Luckily, I'm still in orbit myself.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

Cubans are - of necessity - brilliant at keeping old vehicles going. Even the lovely
Detroit gas guzzlers of pre-1959 Cuba are treated like revered royalty.

The Lada is now an endangered species in Bulgaria - it was a simple copy of an Italian Fiat.

Former Lada owners remember the beast with a shudder and a grimace - unlike those who
feel moist-eyed when they remember their VW Beetle / 2 CV / Fiat 500 - car beloved and
adored.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

boozyoldman wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:48 pm Cubans are - of necessity - brilliant at keeping old vehicles going. Even the lovely
Detroit gas guzzlers of pre-1959 Cuba are treated like revered royalty.

The Lada is now an endangered species in Bulgaria - it was a simple copy of an Italian Fiat.

Former Lada owners remember the beast with a shudder and a grimace - unlike those who
feel moist-eyed when they remember their VW Beetle / 2 CV / Fiat 500 - car beloved and
adored.
I remember a Scot whom trekked with me in the Indian low Himalaya, then onto the higher Himalaya over the boarder in 93. He got his savings to pay for his trip, by collecting old Lada parts and selling them to a Russian at Hull docks.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic