A Proper Woman - Young Khmer author attempts to inspire Cambodian women

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

A Proper Woman - Young Khmer author attempts to inspire Cambodian women

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Thon Thavry’s fourth book, “Neary Propey” (“A Proper Woman”), addresses the oppression of women. This young author depicts the condition of Cambodian women from three generations in a story based on the experiences of her grandmother, her mother and herself.

Born on an island in Kandal province, Ms Thavry, 27, said the book is concerned with the reasons that society doesn’t value women and prevents them from chasing their dreams through education.

Ms Thavry said, “My grandmother and her generation were told that education isn’t for women, because in the end women have to become wives and serve their husbands. Hence it is unimportant to study. My mum suffered from those social norms handed down by her mother; she couldn’t follow her passion.”

In contrast, Ms Thavry said that from the time she was young, her family gave her the same encouragement that they gave her brothers, and made her feel she had the same right to chase her dreams.
“Society limits the paths that people can choose for themselves. But I tried to break all those social norms and do what I like...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5084489/tel ... ons-women/

Note: The book is published in both English and Khmer.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: A Proper Woman - Young Khmer author attempts to inspire Cambodian women

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I think these ideas are long gone, especially in the city. I mean, my grandmother was told the same as hers, so it's not a good comparison... I see the vast majority of families spending as much on their daughters' education as on their sons'. The idea that Cambodia is somehow backwards in that regard is mostly NGO peddling. There's still inequality in some parts of the countryside, but in many ways I think there's actually more equality here that in the West. The double standards come into play more when it comes to stuff like going out late at night and similar things.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A Proper Woman - Young Khmer author attempts to inspire Cambodian women

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

New book from Thavry Thun - Captain of Life.
From her website : http://thavry.com/captain-of-life-new-book/

This is my new book that will release in November.
Book summary:

This is about the journey of a young Cambodian girl, like so many young girls in Cambodia, born and raised in the countryside. She always had dreams of a different life, and those dreams inspired her to push beyond any difficulties in her life.

She did not have a warm and happy family. She faced discrimination, criticism, domestic violence, depression, and a broken heart from her first love. Such challenges lead to ask herself the question, "What did I do to deserve all this, just being born as a girl?"

The book seeks to show how the experiences in life, both good and bad, shape who we become as people. It is how we react to these challenges that determines who we become. The dark sky will soon return to the blue sky, the big storm soon to be over, but in the end you are still the captain of your own life.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic