Living off part-time job

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
grdnr13
Tourist
United States of America

Living off part-time job

Post by grdnr13 »

Hello!

I'm new and I'd just like to start off by saying that you all have a wonderful community here!

But on to the issue at hand: I'm a recent college grad who has been planning for some time to spend 1+ year(s) in Phnom Penh doing research at Calmette Hospital. Calmette has very limited funds, so I was forced to find funding from outside institutions. I thought I had secured that funding (was looking at about $10,000 for the year - not to pocket any, just for living expenses - seem reasonable?), but unfortunately I recently found out that my funding had been cut for bureaucratic reasons.

So now I'm scrambling to find new funding, but in the meantime, I'm wondering if it's feasible to find a part-time job in Phnom Penh that I could support myself with while still spending ~20ish hours/week at the hospital? Those hours aren't set, I'm just estimating what my time commitment at the hospital will be. Thank you guys so much for any help, opinions, or information you can give me!

Edit: I've already obtained a business visa; it's valid through December 2017
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Living off part-time job

Post by epidemiks »

grdnr13 wrote:Hello!

I'm new and I'd just like to start off by saying that you all have a wonderful community here!

But on to the issue at hand: I'm a recent college grad who has been planning for some time to spend 1+ year(s) in Phnom Penh doing research at Calmette Hospital. Calmette has very limited funds, so I was forced to find funding from outside institutions. I thought I had secured that funding (was looking at about $10,000 for the year - not to pocket any, just for living expenses - seem reasonable?), but unfortunately I recently found out that my funding had been cut for bureaucratic reasons.

So now I'm scrambling to find new funding, but in the meantime, I'm wondering if it's feasible to find a part-time job in Phnom Penh that I could support myself with while still spending ~20ish hours/week at the hospital? Those hours aren't set, I'm just estimating what my time commitment at the hospital will be. Thank you guys so much for any help, opinions, or information you can give me!

Edit: I've already obtained a business visa; it's valid through December 2017
Visas issued at KH consulates and embassies are valid for entry for 3 months, but still only entitle you to a 30 day stay before needing an extension. $290 for a 1 year extension.

$10K is fine, assuming you've got your flights and travel insurance already sorted. You could get by on half. It won't be fun, but it's entirely possible.

As for work, teaching English, though schools usually want all or nothing, so part time might be difficult.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Part time job ? Maybe teaching but u want make 800/ month..might be hard finding p/t work. You have a tefl degree? Experience, doubt that just out of school. Ur going to need min $700/month to live ok.
Good luck
Visa is good 30 days than u extend at a travel agent for $280 or for 1 year. Dont arrive with less than $3,000 Minimum
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
grdnr13
Tourist
United States of America

Post by grdnr13 »

Ok great! Thank you so much for your advice. Is english teaching more or less the only source of expat employment? I know there're several NGOs in the city, do they offer, like, simple office work to expats?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic