Medical Assistance Recommendations

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Medical Assistance Recommendations

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Hello again everyone.

On the advice of another forum member I'm lifting this question out of my "laundry list" thread so that it can be referenced more easily. The situation is this:

In my spare time I'm going to be doing some volunteer work for an organization called the International Association of Medical Assistance to Travelers, or IAMAT, and one of the things they'd like me to do for them is to spitball a list of doctors, clinics, and hospitals that provide above-grade service here in Cambodia, for possible inclusion in their travelers' directory.

Any recommendations anyone has -- either here in Phnom Penh or elsewhere in Cambodia, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, all!

Dave.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Medical Assistance Recommendations

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Raffles Clinic (formerly International SOS)
Dr Scott tropical & Travellers medical clinic
Royal Phnom Penh Hospital
Naga Clinic

All the above are expensive options, but are accepted by most travel insurance providers
littlelostgirl
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by littlelostgirl »

Expensive but Royal Phnom Penh Hospital is trustworthy. (it's along Russian Federation Blvd)
PeterZ
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by PeterZ »

Dangerous Dave wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:07 pm Hello again everyone.

On the advice of another forum member I'm lifting this question out of my "laundry list" thread so that it can be referenced more easily. The situation is this:

In my spare time I'm going to be doing some volunteer work for an organization called the International Association of Medical Assistance to Travelers, or IAMAT, and one of the things they'd like me to do for them is to spitball a list of doctors, clinics, and hospitals that provide above-grade service here in Cambodia, for possible inclusion in their travelers' directory.

Any recommendations anyone has -- either here in Phnom Penh or elsewhere in Cambodia, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, all!

Dave.
For trauma or life and death medical emergency, please call 119 and have a Khmer person explain to the 119 operator the emergency situation. Your best bet in saving your life is Calmette ER.

The 119 is reachable country wide and can be dial with any phone.
PeterZ
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by PeterZ »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:11 pm Raffles Clinic (formerly International SOS)
Dr Scott tropical & Travellers medical clinic
Royal Phnom Penh Hospital
Naga Clinic

All the above are expensive options, but are accepted by most travel insurance providers
For normal non-life threatening emergency, agreed.

Please, with life threatening trauma or medical emergency, call 119 and come to Calmette Hospital.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Call 119...hahaha! Better off jumping in a Tuk-tuk than trying to call for an ambulance, which normally require payment up front, and don't even have paramedics on board!

Calmettes ER is actually pretty good, doctors and nurses are switched on, but it is extremely busy so I wouldn't recommend unless the injury/illness is imminently life threatening because you could end up waiting an extremely long time out in the corridor.
PeterZ
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by PeterZ »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:30 am Call 119...hahaha! Better off jumping in a Tuk-tuk than trying to call for an ambulance, which normally require payment up front, and don't even have paramedics on board!

Calmettes ER is actually pretty good, doctors and nurses are switched on, but it is extremely busy so I wouldn't recommend unless the injury/illness is imminently life threatening because you could end up waiting an extremely long time out in the corridor.
There is no charge for 119 emergency and we do have nurse or doctor who are trained in pre-hospital ATLS. If any ambulance crew require payment up front, you can call 119 to file a complain or write your complain of the incident to [email protected].

Subject: 119 Ambulance Complain - Attention Dr. Peter Li

1. Date and time and location of incident;
2. License plate of the ambulance
3. Your complain

Please be reminded that there are private ambulances that illegally operate to pickup victim of traffic accidents and often charge exorbitant amount. Should you encounter one, please complain to Ministry of Health; Director of Hospital Services, Dr. SOK Srun.

Let me clarify, for life threatening trauma and life threatening medical emergency.

Calmette does have triage system in place that determine who gets treated based on the severity of their injuries. We do use ESI guideline in our triage.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

What about us in the sticks, does 119 work in SHV? Bit of a long trip to Calmette.
PeterZ
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by PeterZ »

cptrelentless wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:29 am What about us in the sticks, does 119 work in SHV? Bit of a long trip to Calmette.
119 will coordinate with the Sihanoukville Provincial Hospital, the trip is about 3 hours. Again, life threatening medical emergency.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

central hosptal st 154 near sorya. Very good. used them far too many times for me and Khmer. Clean, Philippino nursing managers and at least 3 philipino staff.Good french/khmer paediatrician. He even came out specially for us at 7 p one night. Khmer prices $7 to $10. Barang $25. Xray was $25 last year. They do not overhcarge on prescriptions and you can take it round the corner if you want. Docotors speak english
Very good chemist on street 51west side on corner of st 136 called Pharmacie ponleu. For my momey as good as pharmacie de la gare but a lot cheaper. Some staff know what they are doing as in they don't give you adult paracetamol for kids! One over the road is bit hit and miss and sells indian crap.
Dentist, best value is elegance dental clinic. Clean, new, run by a dental professor. Bit of a way out on the corner of mao tse toung and 193. Think they have another branch now but not sure where it is.
i would avoid some of the ones listed as expensive. Overpriced and ripoff medicine prices. If you think you got some strnge asian lurgy to Dr. Scott. He isnt cheap but he knows tropical medicine inside out.
Calmette is good if you have been in a serious accident or had a heart attack and have no insurance but you really dont want to be on a ward there if its avoidable.
Be aware prices vary horribly according to what doctors think they can get away with. My friend had his appendix out at the royal cost his insurance $6000 including charges for every bottle of water! I think it is owned by bangkok hospital. Someone else had it done under local anaesthetic at a reasonable small Khmer clinic and it cost $10k.
if you are able to travel St louis Hospital at Sathorn in BKK is a christian non profit making hospital. Extremely good. very big and modern (20 floors). I have been there a few times and it cost about 1000 thb a time. Failing that Sukhumvit hopsital is a sgood as the big names in Bkk but considerably cheaper.
Best advice - dont get sick!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic