Riding without a helmet

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Riding without a helmet

Post by hanno »

Gilmore wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:09 pm This morning, I noticed a helmetless barang on a high powered bike burning down St. 51 in BKK1, without taking any due care. The last idiot to do that lost his leg to a hit and run in the same street. Lots of luck, moron.
We have the same morons in Temple Town, usually hanging out at Laundry Bar, getting drunk and/or stoned and then barreling all over town, obviously helmet-less.
jayblues
Expatriate

Post by jayblues »

I think it's time to ban all foreigners from riding motorbikes and motorcycles in Phnom Penh proper. For a number of years, these white and black people have demonstrated terribly dangerous and careless behavior whilst making the safety of all citizens at risk of their reckless abandonment of driving protocol.
Therefore, I am recommending that all foreigners be banned immediately from riding motorbikes and motorcycles in the city of Phnom Penh.
And if they kneel for the anthem, they are son of a bitches and should be sent to Singapore.

Yours Truly,
Donald J. Trump.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

jayblues wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:29 pm I think it's time to ban all foreigners from riding motorbikes and motorcycles in Phnom Penh proper. For a number of years, these white and black people have demonstrated terribly dangerous and careless behavior whilst making the safety of all citizens at risk of their reckless abandonment of driving protocol.
Therefore, I am recommending that all foreigners be banned immediately from riding motorbikes and motorcycles in the city of Phnom Penh.
And if they kneel for the anthem, they are son of a bitches and should be sent to Singapore.

Yours Truly,
Donald J. Trump.
Make riding great again.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

OKW wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:26 pm
Gilmore wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:09 pm This morning, I noticed a helmetless barang on a high powered bike burning down St. 51 in BKK1, without taking any due care. The last idiot to do that lost his leg to a hit and run in the same street. Lots of luck, moron.
head=helmet
leg=???
any input Gilmore?

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

If people want to put their own lives at risk by riding helmet less then that's their choice...but putting their children's lives at risk by not making them wear helmets is more than irresponsible, makes me fucking sick when I see children's lives been put at risk!

...and don't even get me started on people who drive/ride drunk, I've got no sympathy for them if they kill/injure themselves, but they put the lives of everyone else using the roads at risk :angry:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Acting responsible is the word. Take care of yourselves on the roads, and give thoughts for other road users.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

You see it all the time in the Netherlands. So-called light motos do not require a helmet and can be used in bike lanes. They are sold with limiters set at 25kph but once the limiter has been removed the 50cc motos can do 65kph. I must admit I was shocked to see it. I felt like I was back in PP, except that they stuck to the right side of the road.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:02 pm You see it all the time in the Netherlands. So-called light motos do not require a helmet and can be used in bike lanes. They are sold with limiters set at 25kph but once the limiter has been removed the 50cc motos can do 65kph. I must admit I was shocked to see it. I felt like I was back in PP, except that they stuck to the right side of the road.
I spent a month in Germany and my moped got a little tuning here and there. With some wind from behind, I'd do just over 80kph. Highly illegal and certainly not safe though I did wear a helmet.
L'Algerino
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by L'Algerino »

Helmets for me are the same as seatbelts. Minor inconvenience which can make the difference between life and death. So I see people not using them as part of natural selection.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

L'Algerino wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:43 pm Helmets for me are the same as seatbelts. Minor inconvenience which can make the difference between life and death. So I see people not using them as part of natural selection.
Here, it is also some sort of fatalism. Had this conversation with a Vietnamese friend who did not put on his seatbelt. His reply was "if my number comes up, it comes up".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic