How to prepare to marry a foreigner and live abroad?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
MikeMike58
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How to prepare to marry a foreigner and live abroad?

Post by MikeMike58 »

No other "well, America sucks as well...because....well, just because , since, you know, all our countries are so perfect and America just sucks because I watch CNN along with the rest of the half-wits in SEA and that's the posh thing to do" comments?

:stir:

Gets old, man.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I don't see really how you can 'prepare' SE Asian women to marry a foreigner. It's not like all foreigners are identical. Different countries, cultures, social classes, life-styles and so on. There are classes on everything these days, like you can't work things out for yourself. Too weird.

Or are there some really important things that SE Asian women should warned about before marrying westerners ? Like smelly socks :shock: and mother-in-laws ? :crazy:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Different culture and expectations come to mind. It may even help to change their minds on the whole situation.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
MikeMike58
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeMike58 »

AndyKK wrote: Different culture and expectations come to mind. It may even help to change their minds on the whole situation.
As long as there is extreme poverty and a huge disparity in living standards in countries like the PI, KoW, and Thailand, there will always be a ready supply of marriage seekers.
It's not like there are loads of opportunities for females in these countries. In contrast women in the West are not as desirable as they once were. Hell, if American women could be sold by the pound...

Back in the days when the US had bases in the Philippines, the Navy and Air Force had classes for Filipinas marrying servicemen. They were taught all the basics along with intro to American culture and society.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Marrying a “rich” westerner not all it’s made out to be, says BBC
25 Septenber 2017
Marrying a “rich” westerner not all it’s made out to be, says BBC

A new documentary produced by the BBC exposes the ugly truths when it comes to Thai’s marrying “rich” westerners for a better life. The BBC Thai service has produced a wide ranging documentary feature and video that looks into the increasingly prevalent trend for westerners to marry Thai women.

In one small town in Isaan – Thailand’s north east – they found nearly 100 families in the same boat: coming to terms with what it means having a son-in-law from the west.

And they found it was not just the financial advantages for families that this often brings – but could cause cultural difficulties and misunderstandings...
http://pattayaone.news/en/marrying-rich-westerner/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

MikeMike58 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:28 am Hell, if American women could be sold by the pound...

Don't you mean by the ton?
You could be next.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Defends the US:
MikeMike58 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:14 am No other "well, America sucks as well...because....well, just because , since, you know, all our countries are so perfect and America just sucks because I watch CNN along with the rest of the half-wits in SEA and that's the posh thing to do" comments?
Then continues by putting down half the US population:
MikeMike58 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:28 am
Hell, if American women could be sold by the pound...
:roll:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
MikeMike58
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeMike58 »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:03 am Defends the US:
MikeMike58 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:14 am No other "well, America sucks as well...because....well, just because , since, you know, all our countries are so perfect and America just sucks because I watch CNN along with the rest of the half-wits in SEA and that's the posh thing to do" comments?
Then continues by putting down half the US population:
MikeMike58 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:28 am
Hell, if American women could be sold by the pound...
:roll:
I was merely making a statement based on fact. I don't care much for the country I was born in. The USA just doesn't appeal to me these days. I have no qualms with anyone bashing the US of A if they feel that does any good. It just gets old hearing it. I don't piss and moan about the sad state of affairs of the UK, France, Germany, or Oz.

One thing that gets me is lumping all Americans into one category.

But, alas, that seems our lot in life. I salute you, John Bingham, for pointing out the dichotomy that is me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic