which is your health insurance?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: which is your health insurance?

Post by phuketrichard »

travel insurance is NOT health insurance <
read the fine print
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
JanKrohn
Expatriate
Germany

Post by JanKrohn »

But for $200 p.a. you most definitely won't get any health insurance. So I deducted he's found an offer for travel insurance.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

yeah i did mention it was most likely just travel insurance, probs the kind that you have to pay up first then can claim back later or something, thats why id never interested me so much, the main reason for getting it for me would be for in the extreme circumstances i needed to get myself/body shipped back to England,
i dont care so much myself, but my parents were making me feel guilty/selfish the other month stating that theyre the ones that would have to fork out the money to ship me back if had a serious accident, so now im maybe considering it for their piece of mind...
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
JanKrohn
Expatriate
Germany

Post by JanKrohn »

I have enough doctor friends here to know that such incidents do happen regularly... Therefore, well done.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

haha yeah the CEO News page has definitely made me reconsider lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Health cover is not free in the UK. Everybody pays a national insurance contribution. 12% of your wage if it is above about £150 a week, and it rises with your wage.

charlie
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Actually health cover in the UK is free for the whole world. Obviously this includes the whole of europe but that is OK as we get the same treatment in Europe. In the UK Only people in "legal" work pay. Anybody who is not eligable, ie tourists,visitors,are asked to pay AFTER treatment, of course many do not. Sometimes if it is a small thing like a broken leg, or a wound that needs stitching people are not even asked for ID. We call it health tourism. Until they clamped down on it wealthy pregnant nigerians ( and many other countries) would come to the UK for a holiday/ safe birth, and then just not pay. They now have UK customs officers at nigerian airports and prevent heavily pregnant women entry in advance. You can also buy a false ID, good enough to register at a doctors very easily for as little as a £100-£200
The NHS as we know it is on its dying legs, the present government are not too bothered as they are keen to bring in a USA style system of private health care, no suprise that a few torys have interests in health insurance companys.

Oh well so it goes

charlie
Last edited by tightenupvolume1 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

I'm surprised nobody has replied "crowdfunding". Oh wait, you guys are all expats... I'm thinking of tourists.
You could be next.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Manulife.

Pretty good. Covers some of my riskier activities.
expatfamily
Tourist
United States of America

Post by expatfamily »

I am using Asia insurance in Phnom Penh https://asiahealth.com/ has anyone experience with them ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic