Maybe not so new news

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Maybe not so new news

Post by cptrelentless »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:30 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:05 pm come on; you serious think HE will do anything to jeopardize the huge amount of aid the US government gives him ?
The US government has not given any large amounts of aid to Cambodia since the Lon Nol regime (1970-75), unless you count aid to the factions by the border in the 80s- especially when compared to other countries such as USSR/ Japan/ China/ Australia and the EU.
What is more important is trade with the US, and the special status and tax-breaks Cambodian exports to there get are hugely important to the current garment industry.
The Peace corps is in every country at the invitation of that country and if HE wants them out they're gone.
There hasn't been any follow up to those statements so far. I believe the Peace Corps do invaluable work here, but like many US government institutions come under suspicion of having ulterior motives or being attached to the intelligence agencies.
Anchor Moy wrote:The anti-US rhetoric by the authorities should be a concern for US expats in Cambodia I think. My opinion only. No scaremongering, but watch the direction of the wind.
Of course it's a possibility but unless you are directly involved with one of the organizations (RFA, VOA, etc) that are under scrutiny, I don't believe it's an issue just yet.
Garment industry in Cambodia is fucked, you can get the same efficiency, i.e. not very, out of Madagascar for $75 a month. So $160 a month for shitty low productivity Cambodia, with its militant unions, or half that for somewhere else. Even the Laos are more productive per person per dollar. Khmer machinists are just not very good, cost too much and go on strike too much.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I think the following quote from the reference that Luigi cited best exemplifies which foreigners are most welcome in Cambodia.

"“We welcome all foreigners who come for tourism legally and don’t do any act against the government and national security,” he said, adding that the internal security is normal.""

Tourists are OK under the given reasonable conditions, but long staying expats are not mentioned under any conditions.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:30 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:05 pm come on; you serious think HE will do anything to jeopardize the huge amount of aid the US government gives him ?
The US government has not given any large amounts of aid to Cambodia since the Lon Nol regime (1970-75), unless you count aid to the factions by the border in the 80s- especially when compared to other countries such as USSR/ Japan/ China/ Australia and the EU.
AusAID also used to give buckets to Cambodia, but then stopped, citing "we just can't afford it" under pressure from various groups to not give to a dictator (my extrapolation) - only to immediately give Cambodia millions of dollars in exchange for taking a very small handful of refugees. Despite those refugees all disappearing, Cambodia liked that arrangement so much it's now sniffing around for a further offer. So, "NO, Cambodia, you CAN'T have millions of dollars from Australia for your dodgy and corrupted aid programs (but here are those same millions of dollars anyway, shh)."
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"“There’s a new plan to try to intimidate, to threaten and to control foreigners in a much more systematic way,” Robertson said, adding that he believed Cambodians with foreign passports would soon be targeted in the same way."

Xenophobia maybe?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

AusAID also used to give buckets to Cambodia, but then stopped, citing "we just can't afford it" under pressure from various groups to not give to a dictator (my extrapolation) - only to immediately give Cambodia millions of dollars in exchange for taking a very small handful of refugees. Despite those refugees all disappearing, Cambodia liked that arrangement so much it's now sniffing around for a further offer. So, "NO, Cambodia, you CAN'T have millions of dollars from Australia for your dodgy and corrupted aid programs (but here are those same millions of dollars anyway, shh)."
[/quote]

Thats not entirely true. The Aus government refused to give the money as a cash gift. It was only given by upgrading schools, hospitals and infrastructure in areas that the refugee applicants were housed . The reason the deal took so long was not a conscience item on behalf of receiving country but in a huff because they were getting no under table payments.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic