Love, Death and Difference

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Re: Love, Death and Difference

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

I wanna treat everyone the same and be proved wrong, but unfortunately it doesn't happen too often. I wish I was more like you Joon but maybe I'm just a bit jaded.

Hey I really hope my wife's not reading this…..
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Garry.Crabtree wrote:I wanna treat everyone the same and be proved wrong, but unfortunately it doesn't happen too often. I wish I was more like you Joon but maybe I'm just a bit jaded.

Joon is a perfect example of a wifey's material....obedient and subservient while awaiting for her husband working long hours till late at night mopping every dirt she could spot during the lonely hours.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Suggesting that not marrying solely for romantic love does not count as love, or that financial/security (or other) considerations excludes love (even romantic love), or that marrying for reasons other than romantic love excludes the possibility of love evolving (whether romantic love or not), is the sort of narrow minded thinking I was referring to. Love comes in many forms, and is not static. Goo-goo eyed romantic love from the beginning is but one, and maybe not even the best one, or the best for everybody. I rather doubt that the girl in the OP married exclusively for romantic love, or that her now dead husband believed that she was marrying him exclusively for romantic love, but listening to the pain and loss in her voice I have no doubt she loved him, whatever that meant to them.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

I agree and if anything this thread has made me think about reviewing at my rather jaded self. I take on all your points and I'll try to be more open and not jump to conclusions from now on.

That said, I'm still going to struggle when I see a 60+ old duffer in a wife beater walking hand in hand with his 20+ wife on the riverfront.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

flying chicken wrote:
Garry.Crabtree wrote:I wanna treat everyone the same and be proved wrong, but unfortunately it doesn't happen too often. I wish I was more like you Joon but maybe I'm just a bit jaded.

Joon is a perfect example of a wifey's material....obedient and subservient while awaiting for her husband working long hours till late at night mopping every dirt she could spot during the lonely hours.
You have no idea about how we are at odds about the notion of "perfect example."
LTO wrote:Love comes in many forms, and is not static. Goo-goo eyed romantic love from the beginning is but one, and maybe not even the best one, or the best for everybody. I rather doubt that the girl in the OP married exclusively for romantic love, or that her now dead husband believed that she was marrying him exclusively for romantic love, but listening to the pain and loss in her voice I have no doubt she loved him, whatever that meant to them.
Excellent point, this. The word and notion of "love" just can't be grasped in one definite way.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

LTO wrote:Suggesting that not marrying solely for romantic love does not count as love, or that financial/security (or other) considerations excludes love (even romantic love), or that marrying for reasons other than romantic love excludes the possibility of love evolving (whether romantic love or not), is the sort of narrow minded thinking I was referring to. Love comes in many forms, and is not static. Goo-goo eyed romantic love from the beginning is but one, and maybe not even the best one, or the best for everybody. I rather doubt that the girl in the OP married exclusively for romantic love, or that her now dead husband believed that she was marrying him exclusively for romantic love, but listening to the pain and loss in her voice I have no doubt she loved him, whatever that meant to them.
There's a lot to indicate that romantic love doesn't necessarily lead to the most successful unions, anyway. Or at least relationships based entirely on romantic love without factoring in practical considerations.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Thanks for sharing LTO.

Personally I do all my dating anonymously online. That way I can be sure that people aren't attracted to my looks or wealth. Unfortunately many people are attracted by my charm so I've yet to arrange a meeting. Perhaps when we transcend into pure, metaphysical energy I'll be able to get over my insecurities and hang ups.

I wonder how many women mope about wondering if men would find them attractive if they were scarred by acid and 50 kilos overweight? Or perhaps women are too sensible and mature for that?
Last edited by ali baba on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarier than malaria.
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

There's something to be says for online dating, assuming you are being smart about it. SC and I met online 10 years ago living 6,000 kms apart. It gave us a chance to figure out how we communicated and if we had the same goals in life. Romantic love is important but there is also much about marriage that is akin is business type relationship.
Using Tapatalk
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

I tried online dating once but it just wasn't for me. Unfortunately, I got confused as they didn't show the prices for the girls……
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Love is just evolution's trick to make more of us and a lot more marriages would enjoy a lot more success if a practical, considered approach to partnerships were undertaken.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic