Americans: A Superlative People

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Re: Americans: A Superlative People

Post by The Add Jay »

I love this normalization of weed smoking. I smoked my fair share...yes I got busted twice for it....yes I enjoyed it but I will say making it okay to smoke is such a bad fucking idea. The only reason why people have turned to drugs is because if you sip 1 beer and drive you get thrown in jail lose your job lose your car lose about 10k or more...its prohibition all over again.

9/10 of pot smokers from high school I knew all went on to do harder drugs.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

flying chicken wrote:Ever since one of my friends told me that the rampant of drug usage is America is run by one their own government agencies. I thought he was fucking with me so I did a lot of reading afterward. Well the real drug lords are not the Colombians or Mexicans; the sources pointed to the CIA.
It's obvious and has been proven over and over again that the CIA is responsible for everything that goes on worldwide all the time.

Everything: Drugs. The Middle East. 9/11. Princess Diana. North Korea Missiles. Jacko. Hemorrhoids. African Poverty. Khmer rouge. et al....
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

The Add Jay wrote:...9/10 of pot smokers from high school I knew all went on to do harder drugs.
interesting. Pretty much everybody I knew in high school that smoked pot did not move on to harder drugs (though some experimented with other sorts of drugs in high school) and most became fairly normal family sorts of people. Some even still smoke pot.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

LTO wrote:
The Add Jay wrote:...9/10 of pot smokers from high school I knew all went on to do harder drugs.
interesting. Pretty much everybody I knew in high school that smoked pot did not move on to harder drugs (though some experimented with other sorts of drugs in high school) and most became fairly normal family sorts of people. Some even still smoke pot.
Excellent point. Smoking some pot in high school means almost nothing later on. I think becoming a Mormon is much more dangerous.
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

The Add Jay wrote:... if you sip 1 beer and drive you get thrown in jail lose your job lose your car lose about 10k or more...
Wow, that seems harsh. After 1 beer?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

StroppyChops wrote:
The Add Jay wrote:... if you sip 1 beer and drive you get thrown in jail lose your job lose your car lose about 10k or more...
Wow, that seems harsh. After 1 beer?
An exaggeration, but close. In the States, first offence at drunk driving results in $2-3000. fine and paying for traffic school. Plus your insurance skyrockets at least double or triple from before and it's likely you'll spend a night in the clinker. Within a 7 year period further offences ratchet up accordingly with 4th conviction resulting in 2 years in prison.

Interestingly it has only a slight effect on drunk driving casualties because hard core drunks will drive...no matter what. It does dissuade many of those in the "middle ground" but, unfortunately, they aren't the demographic causing the worst accidents, fatalities, etc.

Drunk drivers kill a lot of innocent people. Fact. No penalty is too harsh for those irresponsible addicts who do so. True libertarians and many people who have chosen poor 3rd world countries to live in absolutely love that they can drive drunk. And do. It's a major attraction to get away from the whining nanny-state "Man" who wants them not to drive drunk. Whatever.

This problem can never be "solved" in any way.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

LTO wrote:
That's my experience too, LTO, with friends and myself. I don't do it anymore (3 decades?) or anything else.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

look at deng preaching... you just hit his hot button and now he'll project his concepts of morality on all of us for pages and pages while damning any religion that dares to do so.
ExPenhMan wrote:
LTO wrote:
That's my experience too, LTO, with friends and myself. I don't do it anymore (3 decades?) or anything else.
I know people on both sides, presuming by "harder drugs" we include party drugs like ecstasy/lsd/mushrooms/etc and not limit it to the massively hard stuff like crack/heroin/etc. And even in the ones that have done the harder stuff, I know a number of them who only tried it a time or two and never went back to it but just stuck with pot or even eventually gave that up.
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

what people take today out of the pharmacy (e.g. the ritalins or pseudo-diseases like forms of polyneuropathy, anti-depressants) is much more mind- and mood-changing/psychedelic/etc than any joint you could roll...

and interestingly - at least for my observation - its only the sort who had never touched a joint in school.

mommy wouldnt have approved, you know.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

i know lots of pot smokers on psychiatric meds... likely a pretty high amount in reality as they were/are self medicating for their emotional issues.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic