Tourist visa holders denied entry to Thailand, left stranded

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Tourist visa holders denied entry to Thailand, left stra

Post by phuketrichard »

this whole visa regulation is aimed at those trying to LIVE IN THAILAND, without or on a tourist visa, not travel there
Last edited by phuketrichard on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Seems it won't matter what mode of transport you use to enter Thailand after August 13. No flying in....

Immigration authorities will not let visa runners return after August 12

BANGKOK: -- FOREIGNERS WHO do regular visa runs in order to extend their stay in Thailand have less than a month before a crackdown by the authorities to enforce immigration laws more strictly.

From August 13, people will not be able to re-enter the country, regardless of their choice of transport.

The Immigration Bureau has already instructed officials to deny entry to foreigners doing visa runs as a measure to stop the exploitation of tourist visas and visa exemptions to live or work here.

Visa runs have been common among foreigners in Thailand recently, given that a simple search on the Net turns up several companies offering "visa trips" for expatriates staying or working here.

Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay. By exploiting 60-day tourist visas and 30-day visa exemptions, many foreigners can work illegally in language schools, or restaurants and other businesses. It is easier for some to get jobs this way, as some employers do not want to go through the complicated process of seeking work permits and like to avoid the expense if they can.

"I have done visa runs several times before, because my employers would not agree to seek a work permit until I passed their probation period. So, when you stop allowing visa runs, the lives of many foreigners in Thailand will be affected," a 46-year-old American said.

Meanwhile, the Immigration Bureau website says: "Leniency will be granted until August 12, but only for passengers arriving by air. Foreigners who come to Thailand must seek a proper visa in line with the purpose of their intended stay here."

Now, those on a visa run who are allowed back in will find an "O-I" (Out-In) mark next to their latest stamp marking entry. From August 13, nobody with an O-I sign on their passport will be allowed to re-enter Thailand if they cannot produce a proper visa.

The Immigration Bureau has instructed checkpoints on shared borders to stop visa runners from entering the Kingdom effective immediately.

Immigration Division 6 chief Pol Maj-General Tatchai Pitaneelabut, who oversees immigration affairs in the South, said visa runners come from several countries, including Vietnam, South Korea and Russia.

"They come here to work as tour guides, waiters, waitresses, etc," he said, pointing out that these visa-runners are often based in tourist centres such as Phuket and Songkhla.

However, he said the presence of the so-called "out-in" migrants in the South had been significantly reduced because immigration officials were already enforcing stricter laws.

Pol Lt-Colonel Weerawat Nilwat, an inspector at the Sungai Kolok border checkpoint in Narathiwat province, disclosed that immigration officials at his workplace had already barred more than 100 visa-runners from re-entering the Kingdom.

"We have to be strict because we have to uphold laws and properly control immigrants. Efficiency on this front will also reduce crime," he said.

Pol Colonel Thirachai Dedkhad, the superintendent at the Sa Kaew checkpoint, said officials under his supervision were not stopping visa runners from re-entering yet. "But we have been warning them to acquire a proper visa before they come to Thailand the next time."

He said immigration officials had also warned people departing that they must obtain a proper visa if they want to come back.

"We have made it clear that if they want to work in Thailand, they must seek a work permit and get the right type of visa," Thirachai said.

Source: http://www.nationmul...s-30238504.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/742 ... paign=news
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

phuketrichard wrote:fuck ur thick

back to back entries so one can live in Thailand without the correct visa

get it;

this whole visa regulation is aimed at those trying to LIVE IN THAILAND, without or on a tourist visa, not travel there
Hehehehehe. OD, we love ya bro, but you do have a habit of overcomplicating things.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

phuketrichard wrote:fuck ur thick

back to back entries so one can live in Thailand without the correct visa

get it;

and how exactly does one differentiate when the visa stamps are the same?

i get what it's INTENDED to do... but i'm asking about its side effects.

From your link it said "All of the foreigners who were denied entry had a previous history of multiple visa exempt entries or back to back tourist visas.", no mention of if they were using those stamps/visas to live there or were just frequent visitors.

Nothing over-complicated about that... the examples of when laws meant to target group A inadvertently end up also impacting group B are endless.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

If they look at the date of departure stamp against each relevant visa they will more easily be able to determine whether you are a full time resident or purely a short hop frequent tripper.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Time to to rent that big house with lots of rooms and create a unique living experience for the influx of people about to arrive to Phnom Penh.

Just Like Thailand Home Stay will be a splendid success.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote:If they look at the date of departure stamp against each relevant visa they will more easily be able to determine whether you are a full time resident or purely a short hop frequent tripper.
Reasonable, but then the question is will they... or will they just reject them across the board. suppose we'll have to wait and see to find out.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote:If they look at the date of departure stamp against each relevant visa they will more easily be able to determine whether you are a full time resident or purely a short hop frequent tripper.
Thanks you,

Immigration is NOT stupid, even though you might think they are,
they can tell the difference between someone using visa exempt, tourist visas to live in thailand
vs
someone that is visiting and a tourist.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I needed my passport for something in the Uk today and when I rechecked my past visas, I found it unusual that my June visa exempt entry was positioned neatly just below my Jan entry, ( together with the 2 departure stamps leaving a nice part of the page remaining blank ). Certainly makes checking my Thai history at a glance very easy. Bit of a conspiracy theory I know, but in the past over many years it's been totally random.

I thought the approach of Sa Kaew immigration mentioned in Gen Mac's posted article makes sense pre Aug 12th.

I must be one of the few people looking forward to reaching 50. :D
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

phuketrichard wrote: Immigration is NOT stupid, even though you might think they are,
stupid no, lazy... likely.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic