Goodbye to Phnom Penh’s ‘sleaziest bar’

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
LTO
Expatriate

Re: Goodbye to Phnom Penh’s ‘sleaziest bar’

Post by LTO »

frank lee bent wrote:I was on 51 tonight with some friends.
poked my nose into Blue Tongue.
completely empty.
pretty nice bar there too.
That appeared to be the case even when Walkabout was still open. Every once in a while, day or night, when I'd walk by I'd peek in and the place would be empty. Though I've never actually gone inside as there seems no reason. Are they aiming to have tourists and expats come their to drink and such or is it just a hotel bar? Is there any reason to go in there? Pool tables, girls, interesting company, anything?
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
StungTrengBooBarang
Expatriate

Post by StungTrengBooBarang »

First went in June 2015, as when websearching from province for cheap hotels it shows(no cheapies, cheapest was $10), from that saw their website and just had to see this joker draw.

Went there at 8am friday but told you cant buy tickets until after 3pm, so got a expensive 5000riel milk coffee, the place was empty, then suddenly when i sat down for coffee a 'barfly' is there, she was so annoying and pushy, rude we call it anywhere else.

Her name is Sokorne, and she seemed to have a mother hen bossiness. An awful awful person she is.

But apart from the annoying girls, i had some good talks with other barangs, and met a cool english dude who had been visiting cambodia for 8 years. He told me" trust no one, never lend money here and expect it back, trust no one, take care of yourself here, if you see locals fighting even if they are hitting a girl dont get involved or you will have many khmers coming from nowhere who might attack you for interfering, and lastly trust no one here, including the barangs."

lol if only i had followed his advice.
StungTrengBooBarang
Expatriate

Post by StungTrengBooBarang »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:Image
walkabout '14
probably the last time i was in there, think ive only ever been 5 times

Hey was you who was sitting when nick(from nicks bar) won 6? Free beers on joker night?

if it was then i met you then.

if it wasnt it was some UK dude with heaps of tattoos and was softly spoken and seemed like a nice bloke.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

StungTrengBooBarang wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:Image
walkabout '14
probably the last time i was in there, think ive only ever been 5 times

Hey was you who was sitting when nick(from nicks bar) won 6? Free beers on joker night?

if it was then i met you then.

if it wasnt it was some UK dude with heaps of tattoos and was softly spoken and seemed like a nice bloke.
Nick is a good friend of mine so its quite possible
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Geofflorimer
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Geofflorimer »

I went to Sophie's in 2006 or there about. It was mad. Must say I was pleased to say I'd been a patron. I was more scared going up the stairs to knock on the door to get in.
Happy days. My mate left and we arranged to meet in Cat Bar later.
Girls were friendly.
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

StungTrengBooBarang wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:32 amBut apart from the annoying girls, i had some good talks with other barangs
I also only used to read Playboy for the articles. ;)

Can someone fix this emoticon?!
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Walkabout was a good spot to meet up as all Tuk Tuk drivers knew it. It was a spot to cash larger notes to get small change . The upstairs bar had good pool tables and you could watch the AFL games up there as well. The girls where characters and sometimes good fun. They never bothered me because If i didn't want to talk to them I would say no. The girls could not stay there unless they had a drink and a couple of girls would nominate a pot of tea if you asked if they wished to have a drink.
A few years ago I stayed there and if you could get up the stairs (locked door) then access to all rooms was easy. In the room was cold shower small tv that was local only and a bed. The door was cracked from being kicked down a few times and would not resist much if anyone wished to enter without a key. One of my travel tools is a rubber door stop that I fit to the door when I am in to stay. It will not stop anyone kicking down the door but does stop the sneaky shits who try to enter and rob you in the night.
All things of value ( my entire back pack would be secured downstairs in the lockers behind reception
I enjoyed walkabout and not all customers where as described as the dirty old men of street 51. The food was ok and no one bothered you. Sad to see it go.
SuperStabwound
Expatriate
Spain

Post by SuperStabwound »

A closed bar is always sad...
:beer1:
theghost
Expatriate
Yemen

Post by theghost »

SuperStabwound wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:10 pm A closed bar is always sad...
:beer1:
It was a shit hole ,all that whole Street is a fucking freakshow of ladyboys, Nigerian drug dealers and Khmer methwhores with your elegant backpacker turd and hipster douche from "Lon-don"

What a waist of life
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

The thigh of life, surely!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic