Introduce Yourself

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by mauser765 »

Echobeach wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:38 pm I love photographing people, and South Eastern Asia is ideal as so much life takes place outdoors , unlike here in the UK , where everyone is hiding behind net curtains .

People differ though , and i found people in Vietnam to be quite aggressive in asking for money , whereas Cambodians seemed very laid back and relaxed .
I think that stems from unethical people taking hundreds of photos of the poor and their subjects never get to see a cent of it, or get any recognition. In many cases, the photographers are quite well off, but feel it is their right to use the poor like mannequins.

Then they upload the pics to their fancy websites and make money from their portfolios, but god help anybody who dares to copy their material.

I'm not saying you're one of them, I'm sure you're not. But back home, a greater proportion of people are better off in many cases.

Here, many people are really poor, so some think they should get something in return.

Khmers are very polite/friendly in most cases, perhaps Vietnam's experience has jaded them more, I don't know.

I would hope a guy using pictures of homeless people in NY or Paris would at least try and help his subjects.

Why not in Vietnam or here?
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
Echobeach
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Echobeach »

I agree , there are many ethical issues to consider when choosing to photograph others , especially where the photographer is making a living out of other's misfortune .

If i return it would be great to get involved in some kind of community work .
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

You could combine the two, maybe work for an NGO as a photographer?

Or a travel agency?
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Good luck to you Echo Beach I hope it works out for you either way. :thumb:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Pbnjsandwich
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Pbnjsandwich »

How's it going all. New in town from the States. This is my first time abroad and it's been a fantastic experience. Getting the lay of the land, wandering the streets is fun. I plan on teaching after a couple check list items are taken care.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Pbnjsandwich wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:14 am How's it going all. New in town from the States. This is my first time abroad and it's been a fantastic experience. Getting the lay of the land, wandering the streets is fun. I plan on teaching after a couple check list items are taken care.
welcome to the boards :thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
SuperStabwound
Expatriate
Spain

Post by SuperStabwound »

Hello. Im an Spanish 26 years old man and I like to travel a lot. I love the heavy metal music, animals and green nature places
Id like to visit cambodia soon
Im not a very good English speaker, and I trying to learn different languages, including Khmer. But I think is very hard, especially write and read it.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

SuperStabwound wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:07 pm Hello. Im an Spanish 26 years old man and I like to travel a lot. I love the heavy metal music, animals and green nature places
Id like to visit cambodia soon
Im not a very good English speaker, and I trying to learn different languages, including Khmer. But I think is very hard, especially write and read it.
welcome, heres some "Cambodian Metal" (or attempt of it)

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Its A London Thing
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Its A London Thing »

Hi all, frequent traveller from London, England.

Joined the forum to find out some info for my upcoming trip over New Year. First time to Cambodia and finding this a useful place for insight.

:thumb: :hattip:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Echobeach wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:59 pm I agree , there are many ethical issues to consider when choosing to photograph others , especially where the photographer is making a living out of other's misfortune .

If i return it would be great to get involved in some kind of community work .
come on ,,,,, how much money do u think is made?>> People dont buy photographs of poor people, trust me

what about Paparazzi?? With the right shot at the right time they can make thousands an thousands and the one photographed gets fuck all.

When u are in the public,you have ZERO rights to privacy, look at London, cams everywhere watching you 24/7
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic