What Have NGOs Done Wrong in Rakhine?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

What Have NGOs Done Wrong in Rakhine?

Post by phuketrichard »

although this is written concerning the help that the NGO's give the Moslem's in Rakhine state but ignore the plight of the ethnic Arakanese
I found this relevant to Cambodia.
....Other people I talked to mentioned that NGO workers displayed their material wealth with blunt disregard to the situation of locals by driving expensive cars, being transported in speed boats, and staying in expensive hotels. Some NGOs rent the best houses in Sittwe, locals have said, destabilizing the property market and pushing up rental fees.
https://www.irrawaddy.com/opinion/ngos- ... khine.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: What Have NGOs Done Wrong in Rakhine?

Post by siliconlife »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:16 pm although this is written concerning the help that the NGO's give the Moslem's in Rakhine state but ignore the plight of the ethnic Arakanese
I found this relevant to Cambodia.
....Other people I talked to mentioned that NGO workers displayed their material wealth with blunt disregard to the situation of locals by driving expensive cars, being transported in speed boats, and staying in expensive hotels. Some NGOs rent the best houses in Sittwe, locals have said, destabilizing the property market and pushing up rental fees.
https://www.irrawaddy.com/opinion/ngos- ... khine.html
As usual, NGOs charge in with money and self-righteousness and exacerbate an already strained situation.

I'm still at odds with the curious messages coming through The Irrawaddy, too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic