coming into cambodia broke

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: coming into cambodia broke

Post by phuketrichard »

broke to me means no MONEY not just no $ bills or no atm card to pay for visa.

surprised they didn't just turn him away
as to loose change, Laos,Myanmar and Cambodia..... Dont have LOOSE change
Very similar demeanor when your out drinking with your buddies and time to pay and split bill one guy says " i only have 9 dollars cash sorry"
?? how is drinking with FRIENDS similar to paying for a visa at immigration?

I
once met a french dude sitting in the immigration office on the Cambo/Loas border,been sitting there for 6 hours as he refused to pay the $5 no photo charge...
BS; You waited there with him??? or he just told ya he had been there 6 hours?? no immigration would put up with some worthless human sitting around that long
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: coming into cambodia broke

Post by Dangerous Dave »

I didn't read the whole thread so I'm sure I'm rudely repeating someone else -- but we don't actually know that the guy had no *money*; all we know is that he had no *cash*. This is not nearly as clean a signal as to how foolish he was being, or what his prospects of happiness would be, here.

I'm always baffled when other people travel to a different country without having read about the entry formalities (or go downhill skiing without a trail map, or turn in assignments critical to their final grades without having read the all-capital-letters-and-boldface part of the assignment sheet, or any of a thousand other variations), but it seems much more likely to me that the guy fits in *this* grouping, and not someone who actually arrived in Cambodia with so little money that he couldn't pay the visa fee.

I get that it would be insulting to the country if the guy showed up literally broke; I just don't think that's what happened. As a one-month resident now, and a frequent visitor to these threads, (and by the way an economics teacher) may I just take a moment to note that the collective response to cost-savings behaviors on the part of others has a sharpness around its edges in this community that I do not understand. I posted not too long ago about paying $295 for the 12-month visa instead of the $170 that was apparently available for a time, and one of the responses was from someone who thought it would sound silly if the difference was divided by 365 days in a year. Which is, itself, ***silly***. Anyone with $125 that they'd like to set on fire for no reason is welcome, welcome, welcome to send it to me.

I mean to say, does it *really* undermine the cachet of someone else's richly exotic experience here, when a stranger tries to save some money? C'mon, *really*? Maybe we can all lighten up a little on how offended we choose to be, that one of the principal appeals of this place is that it's inexpensive. Because it is. :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic