Blue cheese lovers

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rick o'shea
Expatriate

Blue cheese lovers

Post by rick o'shea »

I go through phases where i can't get enough of it! Usually with bacon, rocket and balsamic on rye, but currently it has to be with a poached egg (runny yolk) on a white bun.

Anyone got any good recipes using it?
Funnily enough the Khmers I've asked to try it are quite disgusted by it! Go figure.
indigo_design
Expatriate

Re: Blue cheese lovers

Post by indigo_design »

I use it to make a tasty macaroni cheese.

Makes 4 good portions in 30 mins for about $5 depending on cheesiness

1 lrg onion
1 lrg leek
half a garlic

chop all very fine and fry VERY GENTLY until translucent - you want no colour

In a saucepan gently melt 50g of butter and add a heaped dessertspoonful of flour. Mix to a thick paste and continually stir.
Heat VERY gently to cook the flour but stop as soon as it starts to gain any colour as this will make the sauce look 'muddy'
Slowly add about half a litre milk over 5 mins continually stirring and raising to a gentle boil to make a thick sauce with no lumps
Add the BLUE CHEESE - 100-200g depending on taste and budget :)

Cook 250g of macaroni and mix with sauce and veg

Season with (white if possible) pepper and salt if needed
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Hot Pears with Roquefort & Walnuts

vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

The local Khmer dish (pork-stuffed tomatoes) is very good with blue cheese added after the steaming.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Your recipe sounds scrumptious, Indigo!

As for me, just blue cheese on a baguette toast under the broiler or in a salad.

If you have an oven, Rick, there's something I liked to make back in France. In a cup or mug (that can go in the oven), drop a spoonful of thick cream, minced onion, ham or smoked bacon, a whole egg, then cover with cheese of your choice and hop it in the oven until the egg is cooked to your liking. Season with salt, pepper, soy sauce or anything that you fancy and dip toasted pieces of bread in the mug.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I keep it simple... crackers (matzo if i can get it, as close to it as i can find if not), blue cheese, raspberries.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Something soft (Gorgonzola, Cambezola, or Castello) with roasted garlic on small baguette slices toasted in olive oil. * this appetizer requires a big-assed red to cut through all the fat.
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

How much are raspberries, OD?

And can you repel Cambodian guests by offering them blue cheese? Is it like fragrant Barang prahoc to them?
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

Simply Stilton or another good blue cheese and a nice 'fresh' bottle of port.
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

HotRecruiter wrote:How much are raspberries, OD?

And can you repel Cambodian guests by offering them blue cheese? Is it like fragrant Barang prahoc to them?
Here? Outrageously expensive and bad about 12 hours from when you buy them. I don't really eat it much here because of that... though one of my Khmer friends in PP has a raspberry bush fruiting this year, I'm going to see about getting a starter off of him and growing my own... that may change things a bit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic