American English Teacher William Glenn Murdered in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BlueMoon
Tourist

Re: American English Teacher William Glenn Murdered in Cambo

Post by BlueMoon »

General Mackevili wrote:
Cowshed Cowboy wrote:I see that a poster with the username Nittaya joined the forum on Thursday.
WoW. Very nice catch. I've just spent some time looking into it.

However, because of our commitment to protect all of our members' privacy, we will not be making any revealing comments on the registration in question.

Very keen observation though. :bow:
Trying to find out what the expats are saying, eh. See if she's a suspect?
BlueMoon
Tourist

Post by BlueMoon »

So is there any indication as to the curtain? Tuk Tuk or Guest House Curtain?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

BlueMoon wrote:So is there any indication as to the curtain? Tuk Tuk or Guest House Curtain?
Between the two, I'd guess it looks more like a ratty guesthouse curtain.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

General Mackevili wrote:
BlueMoon wrote:So is there any indication as to the curtain? Tuk Tuk or Guest House Curtain?
Between the two, I'd guess it looks more like a ratty guesthouse curtain.
And we all know what get's wiped on cheap guest house curtains.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Definitely a residential curtain, far too big for a tuk tuk
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

The plot thickens. It appears he was a wanted criminal in the U.S.

A 44-year-old American man found murdered last week in Phnom Penh was the subject of a criminal investigation by U.S. authorities before his death, a local police official said Sunday.

Mississippi native William Glenn came to Cambodia two months ago from Bangkok and worked at several English language schools in the city, but was discovered on Wednesday morning strangled to death on a dirt road in Prek Pnov district’s Kok Roka commune.

Suon Samoeun, chief of Kok Roka commune police, said Sunday that though the murder investigation has yet to establish a motive or identify a suspect in the crime, U.S. officials informed him that they had been seeking William Glenn’s arrest prior to his death.

“Embassy officials confirmed that the victim was wanted by the U.S. authorities, which were trying to find him to send him back to the U.S. because he is a criminal,” Mr. Samoeun said.

Officials from the U.S. Embassy on Thursday accompanied Cambodian police to two Phnom Penh guesthouses where William Glenn stayed and removed his belongings from the Tattoo Guesthouse in Prampi Makara district, where he last stayed.

Asked Sunday whether CCTV footage from the guesthouses had revealed any clues, municipal penal police chief Eng Sorphea said that U.S. authorities had taken the evidence for examination.

“We don’t know anything because we sent it to the embassy,” he said.

U.S. Embassy spokesman John Simmons said that due to privacy laws, he could not discuss the case, but he denied the U.S. Embassy was involved in the investigation.

“We are doing what we can to assist Cambodian authorities, but it is the Cambodian police’s investigation,” he said.

The victim’s wife of five years, 44-year-old Nittaya Glenn, said on Friday that her husband, from whom she separated two months ago, had repeatedly told her that he could not return to the U.S. but had never disclosed the reason.

She said the FBI came to her house in Bangkok last week.

“They called me and had a meeting in my home and I gave them lots of information,” she said.

Ms. Glenn said her husband went to the U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh on July 7 to get additional pages put in his passport because he wanted to leave Cambodia immediately for China.

“He texted me to say he was worried because the embassy took his passport from him and he didn’t know why,” she said.

http://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/murde ... say-63935/

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

General Mackevili wrote:The plot thickens. It appears he was a wanted criminal in the U.S.

“Embassy officials confirmed that the victim was wanted by the U.S. authorities, which were trying to find him to send him back to the U.S. because he is a criminal,” Mr. Samoeun said.

Ms. Glenn said her husband went to the U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh on July 7 to get additional pages put in his passport ....
So, the U.S. authorities were looking for him despite the fact that he'd been to the Embassy....?
Using Tapatalk
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

So, the U.S. authorities were looking for him despite the fact that he'd been to the Embassy....?
Yeah, you're right, this part doesn't make sense.

Unless he was lying to his wife for some reason, which is quite possible, we're supposed to believe that he entered the embassy, requested additional pages and then had his passport confiscated. That part makes sense. Your passport can be confiscated for an outstanding warrant for your arrest or overdue/unpaid child support.

Then he left the embassy with his temporary passport? It's possible, if the embassy staff have no authority to detain a person. But it seems that they would inform someone with authority that he is presently located at the embassy before they gave him his temporary passport.

He must have lied to his wife about not knowing the reason though, even if this event actually occurred.

Anyway, I would imagine that he was involved with some pretty heavy dudes who knew that he was going to be busted soon. They decided to get to him first before he could talk.

It's a lot like that TV series...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

i think the fbi killed him.

the first articles said, he had a COPY of his passport with him.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Hmmm, seems the FBI was hunting him down to extricate him back to the U.S. for drug charges....

n American man found murdered in Phnom Penh last week was wanted in the US on drug charges and had his passport confiscated by the US Embassy before his death, a police official said yesterday.
The bruised body of teacher William Glenn, 43, was found wrapped in a curtain in a Por Sen Chey district trash heap last Wednesday.
“The FBI [Federal Bureau of Investigation] team from the US Embassy here told us they had been looking for this guy because he was involved in a drug case and they wanted to send him back to the US,” said Choun Narin, deputy Phnom Penh municipal police chief in charge of penal crime.
“He’s a wanted criminal – that was why the embassy kept his passport and when he was found dead, we found only a copied one.”
Narin did not elaborate on the specifics of the drug charge.
John Simmons, deputy public affairs officer at the US Embassy, would not comment yesterday on Glenn’s passport, or whether the victim was wanted in his home country, saying he could not provide such details due to Privacy Act “considerations”.
“Inquiries may be addressed to the Cambodian police authorities who are handling the investigation,” he wrote in an email, adding that the embassy was not involved in the case.
But Narin said police were working with the embassy to investigate Glenn’s murder.
“We have no clue as to who the perpetrator is, but we are working with the [embassy] now because they took some [items] from a guesthouse,” he said, referring to the place Glenn had been staying before his death.
But Simmons said this was not because the embassy was investigating but because it often collected and sent “personal effects, including clothing and other personal belongings, to the family of any American Citizen who dies in Cambodia”.
Mok Chito, director of the central justice police department at the Ministry of Interior, said municipal police were handling the case “directly”, so he was not aware of how far the investigation had progressed.
Glenn, who was born in Mississippi, had been teaching at schools in Phnom Penh since May after separating from his wife in Thailand.
Heng Sokuthy, manager of the Golden Gate American School, where Glenn had briefly taught, said his employee had mentioned living in Bangkok.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/a ... s%E2%80%99

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic