Tourist visa holders denied entry to Thailand, left stranded

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Tourist visa holders denied entry to Thailand, left stranded

Post by phuketrichard »

this will surely put an end to visa exempt runners and those who think they can now switch to a tourist visa to get back in to Thailand.

Sucks for those who have been living here for so long on tourist visas an visa exempt stamps, thinking it would go on and on.
SUNGAI KOLOK (Southern Thailand): -- At least 20 foreign nationals were yesterday (Sunday) denied entry into Thailand using their 60-days Tourist visas, after attempting to enter via the Sungai Kolok border checkpoint in Narathiwat province.
Narathiwat is a popular destination for visa runners and border runners to exit and re-enter the country in order to extend their stay in Thailand.
All of the foreigners who were denied entry had a previous history of multiple visa exempt entries or back to back tourist visas.

Eight of the foreigners in question held visas issued abroad, as well as from Malaysia, namely from the Royal Thai Consulates in Penang and Kota Bahru. The countries of origin of the 8 refused foreigners include the UK, Italy, USA, Russia, Ukraine, Romania and New Zealand.
Immigration officials at Sungai Kolok, as well as at several other border checkpoints in the south, have been ordered by the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok to deny entry to foreigners holding 60-days Tourist visas.
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/742 ... ?p=8096024
Last edited by phuketrichard on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: Tourist visa holders denied entry to Thailand and left s

Post by Sailorman »

I love to see the Thai greedy government shooting themselves in the foot (again.) Say goodby to a section of your tourist industry that support Thai business's. You don't need no stinking tourists/expats to spend their money, you have illegal Cambodian workers to work cheap in Jap owned factories and turn out products for Walmart and their like.
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

I wish we could make their loss permanent. They have too much power ...
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

They will end up in Cambo and Philippines.
Must be quite a few.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

out of the 24 million visitors in 2013
i would hazard a guess at less than .0002%

Wont see any affect at all in numbers.

Long overdue as many were abusing the stem an living in Thailand on the incorrect visas
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

i wonder, what's the time BETWEEN the exempt stamps that's acceptable? For example if someone goes to Thailand for one week per month as a tourist, are they now told to fuck off?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i bet there are a lot more than you think Rich.

surely the little visa run buses are cryin.

maybe some minor officials too.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

OrangeDragon wrote:i wonder, what's the time BETWEEN the exempt stamps that's acceptable? For example if someone goes to Thailand for one week per month as a tourist, are they now told to fuck off?
Very relevant question and the crux of the matter for just excluding the people you want to exclude and not deterring a wider number of genuine visitors from not bothering to make a regular trip. My concern is how much discretion is being given to immigration checkpoints as opposed to working to laid down guidelines from HQ. I wonder what happened to that 7 day emergency clear out time mentioned by someone on another thread.

Last week on ThaiVisa someone said the impact was kicking in at a Cambodia border crossing as he didn't see any obvious visa runners, another then posted Nong Khai was heaving as they were all over in Lao getting tourist visas. Looks like that work a around is being removed re Richard's link above which makes sense for the abusers. Glad my passports only a year old.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

frank lee bent wrote:i bet there are a lot more than you think Rich.

surely the little visa run buses are cryin.

maybe some minor officials too.
There's a positive to everything Frank, the number of road deaths should drop as less of those flying silver coffins ply their trade. Total maniacs a lot of them.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

the resentful local officers will strictly enforce the law to punish the regime for depriving them of graft.

notice on thai visa they were not stamped as denied entry? rather sent to Bangkok for a decision.

sends a clear message to HQ no?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic