Democracy ???

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Peter
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: Democracy ???

Post by Peter »

Most ppl in india have never set a foot in a polling booth their votes are sold by the village elder to the party who pays most!
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

It's also the country which first had electronic voting, before America, iirc.

Strictly speaking it's a true democracy than Murika, too (one man one vote).
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
lordofmisrule
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by lordofmisrule »

mauser765 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:45 pm India (one man one vote) and Scandinavia, maybe Netherlands.

But when they are told what to do by bankers, not many independent places left.

On the other hand, why do we automatically assume democracy is the best model? Because Murika claims to be one?

How's that working out for its citizens? Not so well.

Maybe Germany? Finland? Iceland?
Scandinavian countries are parliamentary democracies, that may seem pedantic but it is not really, it means the voters have no say in how the land is ruled, they just vote in a representative who then follows their mandate or not. Not really so democratic and the western governments are corrupt just like here, they're just better at it and less brazen.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

What would you rather have
A. One man/ woman who gets to call all the shots with no criticism allowed.
B. A small group of people who get to call all the shots with no criticism allowed.
C. The demos ( public) who get to elect one or more of the above that get to call all of the shots, but criticism - by way of being voted out - is allowed.

It's quite simple. Also quite simple are ways of undermining that criticism through tools such as media, war, economics etc. Just read the local papers, I'm sure you'll get the idea.
I think the old Dutch democratic system was the best personally. It's all a bit shit, but unless you're​ in group A or B, C is the best we got untill scientists discover the greed gene, and eliminate it.
Then we may be able to form some new type of government, or just a democracy that actually works.

Cue the right-wing anarchists. :facepalm:
See crook!!!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

westminster seems the best model though it fills up with crooks like all the other forms. at least there is a mechanism for dissolution.
constitutional republics are probably the best overarching structure whatever form the biz of gov takes.
government by the ( sometimes slim ) majority is only a watered down tyranny.

i can't think of many utopias though, at present.

people get the government they deserve.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"people get the government they deserve."

If elections are free, fair, and open yes. Then they deserve the govt. they get.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

if power devolves from the people then it is their responsibility to ensure these conditions are met.
if rights are not asserted then they are extinguished by default
revolutionary governments rarely come to power by popular support
instead, violence or the threat of violence keeps the masses compliant
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Power comes from the end of a gun,
thought everyone knew that
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"if power devolves from the people then it is their responsibility to ensure these conditions are met."

Fine and well if your constitution realistically has provided a system of checks and balances.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Actually, democracy does exist to some degree in The USA (which is an empire), but at the local county/city level only. Citizens vote for council members, county sheriff.

There was even a time when Hunter Thompson ran for sheriff in Aspen, Colorado.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/ar ... en/372949/

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic