Things that make your teeth grind

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Things that make your teeth grind

Post by EdinWigan »

StroppyChops wrote:
LTO wrote:Right up there with, "if you don't believe and support Somaly Mam it's because you must be a sex tourist pedophile with ulterior motives."
Personally I think I'll get physical with anyone who pulls this line on me - it gets thrown around a little too loosely in this country, and it's the lowest insult that can be given another human being, IMO.

I'm still trying to work out an appropriate response to those white female voluntourists that sniff haughtily at me when Mrs Stroppy and I are out together, and give me that up and down appraisal and clear gutter judgement if I happen to be walking the street in broad daylight on my own. I know this chestnut comes up from time to time, but not yet seen a good take-down response for it. Suggestions, anyone?
I wonder how much effect the whole 'Paedo until proved innocent' has on the recovery of Cambodia. How many western, potential holiday makers, think Cambodia - Paedophile? and what effect does this have on the tourist $

Research in the UK says that up to 10% of paedophiles are women but many think this is much higher, as women tend to slip under the radar, so to speak.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8022861.stm

I guess there is not a good take down for such judgemental behaviour, shame though, I would certainly buy the T Shirt, if there was.
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
westlake
Tourist

Post by westlake »

Eating foil when you have fillings
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Yesterday I was on a bus heading from Kampot to Phnom Penh and a late model Toyota Landcruiser overtook the bus at speed. I expected that he would then pull back over onto the right side of the road because of oncoming traffic - but no, this charming, endearing man kept in the left lane causing a few motos to run off the road, and also a Camry! I just shook my head in disbelief. Given the opportunity, I bet the rural guys would lynch a prick like that very swiftly.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

westlake wrote:Eating foil when you have fillings
Yeah, hate that.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
westlake
Tourist

Post by westlake »

Sticking your finger in a powerpoint.
Forktongue2
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by Forktongue2 »

Back on topic
In order-

1.Uneducated Northern English accents

2. Welsh accents

3. Uneducated Northern English accents and barking dogs from no particular domicile ;)
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

Forktongue2 wrote:Back on topic
In order-

2. Welsh accents

3. Uneducated Northern English accents and barking dogs from no particular domicile ;)
How do you know an accent is uneducated? or is it just a general racist comment?
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
JessB52
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by JessB52 »

Forktongue2 wrote:Back on topic
In order-

Well I'm glad I have an effect on somebody
Cambodia's answer to Bet Lynch

https://www.facebook.com/JessatQuealys
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

Everyone driving a Lexus and up.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

Cars driving with High Beams, not just to get your attention but to blind you and make me wish I had something to blow out your headlights with... or tires, same desired effect.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic