British Expat and Teacher Richard Davies Dies From Morphine Overdose in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

British Expat and Teacher Richard Davies Dies From Morphine Overdose in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia: Richard Matthew Davies, a 28 year old British Expat from Royal Leamington Spa has died from what police have speculated was a morphine overdose.

Richard has been teaching in Phnom Penh and is the husband of Katie Williams, the Senior Programme Officer for Stars Foundation NGO.

Police say that Richard was pronounced dead upon arrival at Calmette hospital on April 26, 2016, after being brought there from his home on street 63 in Chaktomouk Daun, Phnom Penh.

Authorities have identified that deceased as Davies, Richard Mathew, 28 years old, male British teacher.

According to his wife, Katie Williams, Richard went to work on the morning of April 26, 2016, and came home to just relax on the sofa. Later in the evening he suddenly feel very ill and needed to be taken to the emergency room.

When he got to Calmette Hospital, doctors pronounced him dead. An autopsy confirmed he died of "heart attack" which was likely caused from a drug overdose (morphine).

His body is being kept at the Khmer Soviet Friendship Hospital in Phnom Penh.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Rutiger
Expatriate

Re: British Expat and Teacher Richard Davies Dies From Morphine Overdose in Phnom Penh

Post by Rutiger »

Age 28. What a shame. His wife must be devastated. RIP.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: British Expat and Teacher Richard Davies Dies From Morphine Overdose in Phnom Penh

Post by TheGrinchSR »

28 years old. What an awful way to go and yes, his wife must be beyond consolation at the moment. RIP. And please let others take note that just because opiates are easily available in the KoW, it doesn't mean that you should partake of them...
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Tragic. RIP and condolences.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Why have we included his visa page?

Interesting that they have given a better reason for his death along with the usual heart attack. Which just confirms to me that heart attack is a bad interpretation of heart stopped. If you OD on morphine you die from respiratory depression. Another one bites the dust in KOW. How can they be so smart yet so stupid?
RIP
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

juansweetpotato wrote:Why have we included his visa page?
Interesting that they have given a better reason for his death along with the usual heart attack. Which just confirms to me that heart attack is a bad interpretation of heart stopped. If you OD on morphine you die from respiratory depression. Another one bites the dust in KOW. How can they be so smart yet so stupid? RIP
jsp, that's people. I imagine you could give me a long list of stupid things you've done with/because of women or drinks or whatever, but still the pattern continues for most of us.

For all we know this poor guy might have been in intense pain, when my back gives me problems, if I had access legal to morphine, I would use it.

I was given it once when I had my kneecap removed, the post-surgery pain disappeared within a second or two.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

vladimir wrote:
Interesting that they have given a better reason for his death along with the usual heart attack. Which just confirms to me that heart attack is a bad interpretation of heart stopped. If you OD on morphine you die from respiratory depression. Another one bites the dust in KOW. How can they be so smart yet so stupid? RIP
jsp, that's people. I imagine you could give me a long list of stupid things you've done with/because of women or drinks or whatever, but still the pattern continues for most of us.

For all we know this poor guy might have been in intense pain, when my back gives me problems, if I had access legal to morphine, I would use it.

I was given it once when I had my kneecap removed, the post-surgery pain disappeared within a second or two.
Good point. I don't know.

It's just that I have actually helped another young wife carry her husband down the stairs to put in a Tuk Tuk to Calmette for the reason that he had OD'ed. His wife was totally adamant that he didn't use drugs. Was shouting at me about it. I just carried on helping her anyway. It was the first thing I asked her so as to assess the situation and what to do. We were only 2 minutes from Calmette so they managed to save his life that time. Saw him the next day looking very sheepish.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
jmagic
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jmagic »

Is it just me, or do Brits in Cambodia seem especially dysfunctional?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

jmagic wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:57 pm Is it just me, or do Brits in Cambodia seem especially dysfunctional?
There are a lot of them and they are a very mixed bag. Not much different than any other nationality really, there are some who are worth knowing and others you might want to keep at least an arms-length away.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Binky
Tourist
Belarus

Post by Binky »

juansweetpotato wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:51 am
vladimir wrote:

Good point. I don't know.

It's just that I have actually helped another young wife carry her husband down the stairs to put in a Tuk Tuk to Calmette for the reason that he had OD'ed. His wife was totally adamant that he didn't use drugs. Was shouting at me about it. I just carried on helping her anyway. It was the first thing I asked her so as to assess the situation and what to do. We were only 2 minutes from Calmette so they managed to save his life that time. Saw him the next day looking very sheepish.
I taught at the school where he worked and they kept it hushed up. Said he died of food poisoning. Very quiet man, he was.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic