Is it creepy to sit alone outside riverside bars and restaurants?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Is it creepy to sit alone outside riverside bars and restaurants?

Post by Username Taken »

Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:27 pm Why do no white women sit alone eating/drinking on the riverside, if it's such a pleasant and totally normal place to people watch?
Probably because after a few drinks they will need to go to the toilet. And everybody knows that women can't go to the bathroom alone.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:27 pm Why do no white women sit alone eating/drinking on the riverside, if it's such a pleasant and totally normal place to people watch?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bobsboots »

Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:06 pm I was walking along the riverside today and decided to count the number of solo white guys sitting alone eating/drinking vs. the number of solo white women.

I only walked a few blocks, and I counted 19 white dudes sitting alone at tables along with the riverside and of course zero white women.

I wish someone would make a pictorial coffee table book "dudes of the Riverside." Come on, most of them look really creepy and like life has beaten them down. Smoking, drinking beer a 10 a.m., wearing shorts and singlets, talking to street urchins, etc.

I eat alone at a lot of Riverside restaurants (Cadillac, Metro, Riverside Bistro, etc.) but I almost always eat inside, at the bar. It makes me feel superior. I don't want to be one of these outside-sitting guys.
The thought of you watching and counting single men is very creepy, but what the hell.
Creepy is in the eye of the beholder.
Brewer
Expatriate

Post by Brewer »

With that creepy, stalking behaviour you'll single-handedly stop that from happening. You'll soon awaken the self-preservation herding instinct in them and they will, awkwardly at first, start asking each other if it's OK to sit together as maybe that will deter your approaches.

You'll have created a whole new social circle that you'll be forever blackballed from joining. :plus1:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

If you are creepy, everywhere you sit is creepy. I sit wherever the hell I want. I rarely sit on the riverside as it's a high-hustle area but when I do I can manage to sit back and avoid a lot of that stuff.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
MikeMike58
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeMike58 »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:28 pm If you are creepy, everywhere you sit is creepy. I sit wherever the hell I want. I rarely sit on the riverside as it's a high-hustle area but when I do I can manage to sit back and avoid a lot of that stuff.
Same here. Riverside just isn't the best place to lounge around IMHO. I prefer to be creepy elsewhere.
One should always mingle, so as not to look creepy!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Weirdly enough, along with 172, the riverside is the only place I like to sit outside. Great to people watch and often lots of cute girls. I didn't frequent any places there for years (besides Oskar) but started going very frequently a few months ago. It's great. I always sit outside, but admittedly not alone. I'm also extremely good-looking, which offsets any creepiness.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Another one of CN's " at the back of your mind" posts. I don't go on the riverfront for that and a few other reasons - beggars, tuk tuks encouraging ilicit trade etc. I go to one of the side streets just off it now. The place I go to has men and women sitting outside. Thank god. Bloody middle age paranoia.

The very worst place for that Cambodian CN feeling I have found, is food street in Vic Hill. So many middle aged guys all sitting eating alone at tables. Nobody will ask to join a table if their are others available. It's something you have to learn not to do from experience.
See crook!!!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 pm
The very worst place for that Cambodian CN feeling I have found, is food street in Vic Hill. So many middle aged guys all sitting eating alone at tables. Nobody will ask to join a table if their are others available. It's something you have to learn not to do from experience.
Things have changed. For years now you can find loads of women and families eating on restaurant st - bloody kids, it's like a nursery. Obviously the creep effect is not working too well there. :flasher1:
In fact the creeps are slowly being chased out of their habitat by the normals. It's a real demographic shift.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:06 pm I was walking along the riverside today and decided to count the number of solo white guys sitting alone eating/drinking vs. the number of solo white women.
At what point in doing this, did you realise that your life must be really boring ? :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic