New Book Explores Cambodia’s Noir Side (Iain Donnelly's Saraswati Publishing Company)

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: New Book Explores Cambodia’s Noir Side (Iain Donnelly's Saraswati Publishing Company)

Post by Luigi »

Stramash23 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:56 pm
taabarang wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:38 am
willyhilly wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:54 am Is that the same book as Cambodia Noir? I wonder how many Cambodians are able to write a good yarn, or Thais. Does Thailand have home grown authors publishing?
A few Khmer are talented writers but because pirated copies are made immediately after publication, there is little to no profit from sales or royalties. Plus reading for pleasure is not very widespread in Cambodia, in fact reading period is not widespread.

The reading culture has grown hugely in the last 2 years with a lot of young Cambodians starting reading groups. But there is still a focus on non-fiction and 'self-help' books rather than fiction. Hopefully we can be a small part of changing that.
Why would you possibly want to change that? Maybe add to?
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Re: New Book Explores Cambodia’s Noir Side (Iain Donnelly's Saraswati Publishing Company)

Post by mauser765 »

Because there is a huge pool of potential talent, and we'd like them to develop it?

When i cam here I didn't know a single kid who could play a musical instrument...now there are hundreds.

It's a good thing for a country when people develop their potential.

Perhaps I'm confused by your question...
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
Stramash23
Expatriate

Post by Stramash23 »

Luigi wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:35 am
Stramash23 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:56 pm
taabarang wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:38 am
willyhilly wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:54 am Is that the same book as Cambodia Noir? I wonder how many Cambodians are able to write a good yarn, or Thais. Does Thailand have home grown authors publishing?
A few Khmer are talented writers but because pirated copies are made immediately after publication, there is little to no profit from sales or royalties. Plus reading for pleasure is not very widespread in Cambodia, in fact reading period is not widespread.

The reading culture has grown hugely in the last 2 years with a lot of young Cambodians starting reading groups. But there is still a focus on non-fiction and 'self-help' books rather than fiction. Hopefully we can be a small part of changing that.
Why would you possibly want to change that? Maybe add to?

I'd like to see a change from the focus on non-fiction that exists now. Simples. :)
Too weird to live, too rare to die
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

So self help, non-fiction (which I hope would include Khmer history) should take a back seat to your agenda of furthering your goal for fiction writers. Do I have that correct?
Stramash23
Expatriate

Post by Stramash23 »

Luigi wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:43 pm So self help, non-fiction (which I hope would include Khmer history) should take a back seat to your agenda of furthering your goal for fiction writers. Do I have that correct?

Maybe longest wait for a reply here, sorry.

Not at all, non-fiction certainly has its place (in fact, we will be releasing the first ever book - there have been articles but no book to date - on the Khmer rock and roll scene of the early '60s to early '70s later this year)

But our focus is mainly fiction. There are others focusing on non-fiction etc and wish them all luck. Self help books? My personal view is that they are mainly a lot of cliched shite and I will never publish one.
Too weird to live, too rare to die
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Stramash23 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:50 pm Self help books? My personal view is that they are mainly a lot of cliched shite and I will never publish one.
:thumb: Yes. So unhelpful.
So much rubbish like How to become an entrepreneur without raising a sweat in 6 easy lessons. only $10. Buy now.
Or, You too can become rich like me: The Secret of Success. $25 can change your life.
I have a friend that reads this sort of stuff and he doesn't get why I'm so "negative", because all it takes to become rich, (the ultimate goal), is a bit of positive thinking. Dismal.

Anyway, shouldn't that be classed as fiction ? :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic