How to identify a hippy ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Re: How to identify a hippy ?

Post by saigonjackpot »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:08 am
John Bingham wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:21 pmI was part of that thing too, but a lot of it just ended up seeming stupid after a while.
Of course the really clever hippies knew how to blend in with regular people; they moved on with their dress sense; they moved on with their work; but they incorporated into their lifestyles those hippy core values.

Now they are doing preety well for themselves..... :beer2:
The best way to spot a hippy is ask him where the free energy converter is hidden and if the CIA is still trying to kill him for the blue prints.

He will spill the beans instantly.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:36 pm If anyone's interested, Bumblebee Cambodia Soap has just developed a Patchouli and Orange soap, featuring Cambodian bamboo charcoal... :D
are you kidding? cuz Lava soap with pumice does wonders for the acne they have there. Charcoal might just be a good substitute. I'd always thought some fine powdered soapstone from Pursat :) The carving places there must be a foot deep (or more) in the stuff all across the ground.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Mr Curious wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:11 am
StroppyChops wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:36 pm If anyone's interested, Bumblebee Cambodia Soap has just developed a Patchouli and Orange soap, featuring Cambodian bamboo charcoal... :D
are you kidding? cuz Lava soap with pumice does wonders for the acne they have there. Charcoal might just be a good substitute. I'd always thought some fine powdered soapstone from Pursat :) The carving places there must be a foot deep (or more) in the stuff all across the ground.
That's actually a very good idea. We also do a brutal mechanics soap with a coarser grained biochar, but I like your idea better.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

Mr Curious wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:11 am

Except it's black and might cause stains etc. (not just on skin) and it has a very low hardness (for mechanical scrubbing).
It'd prolly just dissolve in the water (think carbon black or graphite)
A better scrubbing material might be baking soda (if it matters).

lava was the best for getting things really clean.

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

still is, I've used it for 30 yrs as a showering soap, even dishwashing. Women kept asking me how I got soft skin, tol em hahahaha. I even bring it when I come, that heat will have ya coated in an oily dusty, dirty muck and then ya gotta get clean with cold water? no way...LAVA. Hope it works for ya Strops, cuz i gave a bar of Lava to a Khmer gf who had a bit of an acne thang goin on and it cleared up.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Mr Curious wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:57 am still is, I've used it for 30 yrs as a showering soap, even dishwashing. Women kept asking me how I got soft skin, tol em hahahaha. I even bring it when I come, that heat will have ya coated in an oily dusty, dirty muck and then ya gotta get clean with cold water? no way...LAVA. Hope it works for ya Strops, cuz i gave a bar of Lava to a Khmer gf who had a bit of an acne thang goin on and it cleared up.
You do realise tbat Ajax is made from lava rock powder? Just sayin :D
See crook!!!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Mr Curious wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:57 am still is, I've used it for 30 yrs as a showering soap, even dishwashing. Women kept asking me how I got soft skin, tol em hahahaha. I even bring it when I come, that heat will have ya coated in an oily dusty, dirty muck and then ya gotta get clean with cold water? no way...LAVA. Hope it works for ya Strops, cuz i gave a bar of Lava to a Khmer gf who had a bit of an acne thang goin on and it cleared up.
Yeah, cheers. We do a straight coconut oil bar for acne that'll strip the oil out of the skin - we actually recommend that people don't use it every day or as a normal body bar, it's too cleansing.

Our charcoal soaps have been in production for a while and don't seem to create any customer complaints, other than for the mechanic soap being violent as a result of the coarse grade of the biochar (deliberate) - testers scream for more as it cleans greasy hands better than anything they've experienced (combination of coconut and biochar) so we're possibly already onto a good thing. Really keen to try some pumice of some sort, though.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

coconut oil soaps are also called " saltwater soap" as it will lather in seawater. highly prized by yachties, and generally must be special ordered from cruising yacht chandlers.
the cheapest form of coconut oil is the solidified hydrogenated form sold as "copha" in australia.
it is about 20% of the cost of coconut oil and makes a great soap.
cold press coconut oil is very expensive, and it is hard for local processors to get the nuts as they are sold ASAP for drinking at about 1/3rd the price they could get if they waited an additional 6 - 8 weeks to harvest.
therein lies a tale of SEA psychology.
seeing how the topic was already rooted since hippy died in 1967
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

without a doubt the best soap around

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

haha, was just thinking about dr bronner's
do you know it stroppychops?
it started asa religious fundraiser and is a global hit for 30 years, thanks to the quality.
oddly, it was popularised by hippies and surfers.
it is a potassium soft/liquid soap vs the sodium hard soaps we normally use
i think they glycerine process it to make it transparent.

soap is fun and practical to make.
i lked using essential oils.
made one very popular type wit cocoa and spearmint eo
just like an after dinner mint and plenty of tingle from the slightly irritant spearmint oil
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic