GoFundMe - Yay or Nay?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: GoFundMe - Yay or Nay?

Post by StroppyChops »

Digg3r wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:24 am
StroppyChops wrote:
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:53 pmI have been part of "Kickstarter" campaigns before which is more in tune with what I see as worthy causes, which are business start-ups with a good innovative product connecting directly with the consumer for advance funding. You get a good deal on the product in return.
I was an original backer of the Oculus Rift Kickstarter - and years later was delighted when I got an email saying that Oculus (or the parent company Facebook) was sending me the full retail kit as a thanks. I'm still getting around to plugging it in as I'm too busy to disappear down the rabbit hole just now, but looking forward to it. The original developer's kit had 9/10 people hurling.
One of my friends has one. It's awesome however still limited content. I plan on getting one or the HTC vive in a year or so when the market matures a bit.
Yeah, I'm confident the cheaper units will take on the single Big Player (Oculus/Facebook) and surpass it, and it will be good when device independent software really takes off. I wouldn't have paid the dollars for a retail kit, even though as an initial funder I'm kinda part of the family, but only on the cost factor. Simply couldn't have afforded it, and have had to upgrade the system to meet minimum specs - and by upgrade I mean total rebuild, I could take the original hardware and build a second system with it! Now that the platform (whatever brand) is relatively stable, it's interesting watching the peripheral toys hitting the market; the handheld sensors, gloves etc.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

StroppyChops wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:53 pmI have been part of "Kickstarter" campaigns before which is more in tune with what I see as worthy causes, which are business start-ups with a good innovative product connecting directly with the consumer for advance funding. You get a good deal on the product in return.
I was an original backer of the Oculus Rift Kickstarter - and years later was delighted when I got an email saying that Oculus (or the parent company Facebook) was sending me the full retail kit as a thanks. I'm still getting around to plugging it in as I'm too busy to disappear down the rabbit hole just now, but looking forward to it. The original developer's kit had 9/10 people hurling.
One of my friends has one. It's awesome however still limited content. I plan on getting one or the HTC vive in a year or so when the market matures a bit.
Simply couldn't have afforded it, and have had to upgrade the system to meet minimum specs - and by upgrade I mean total rebuild, .
Minimum specs seem pretty low according to 3dmark.

Im sure my gaming pc could handle it.
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13127412
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Digg3r wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:40 pm
StroppyChops wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
Simply couldn't have afforded it, and have had to upgrade the system to meet minimum specs - and by upgrade I mean total rebuild, .

They sacrificed some performance to lower the minimum specs to match most high-end gaming systems.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

StroppyChops wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:

They sacrificed some performance to lower the minimum specs to match most high-end gaming systems.
The occulus rift has 2 displays . 1080 x 1200 @ 90hz. That does not need high end gpu to achieve. I think you may be out of touch with what constitutes a high end gaming system.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Digg3r wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:04 pm
StroppyChops wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
Digg3r wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:24 am One of my friends has one. It's awesome however still limited content. I plan on getting one or the HTC vive in a year or so when the market matures a bit.

The occulus rift has 2 displays . 1080 x 1200 @ 90hz. That does not need high end gpu to achieve. I think you may be out of touch with what constitutes a high end gaming system.
Wouldn't surprise me.
BTBexpat
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by BTBexpat »

:lol: :lol:
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Nay.