Driving licence

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Driving licence

Post by rogerrabbit »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:47 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:10 pm Unless its in english, it means u need get an idp to use outside Cambodia,
Can u get an idp in Cambodia??

Thai License, since its in English, ( at least the 5 year ones are) is valid world wide, I have used mine to rent cars and even used it when a cop stopped me in the states
Cambodian licenses are not recognised outside of Cambodia, and can not be used as the basis for an IDL - although this may have changed since I last looked into it.
Most if not even all EU countries recognise Cambodian license as Cambodia has signed Geneve/Vienna road traffic convention. Obviously you need IDL if you are tourist. But are you able to get IDL in Cambodia?

Edit: according to Wikipedia Cambodia actually should issue IDL as it's part of the convection but where to get one, anyone knows?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

There is no idl, internationsl drivers license. Its an idp. International drovers Permit and only valid with the countires license.
But if its not in english the cambodian license is worthless outside cambodia
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:40 pm There is no idl, internationsl drivers license. Its an idp. International drovers Permit and only valid with the countires license.
Right, I confused with IDL and IDP.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I know several people who have used the Cambodian license to rent cars in the US. Totally acceptable.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:40 pm There is no idl, internationsl drivers license. Its an idp. International drovers Permit and only valid with the countires license.
My previous Cambodian license which was plastic was ok in Thailand when I got stopped last year in Hua Hin. The cops said Asean so OK. I have this new shitty cereal packet material one now. I've been riding all over Issan but luckily never saw the cops once in 30 days. Not sure if they would have accepted this if they had pulled me in. Has the Thailand one changed to paper too?
In Philippines now, doubt they would accept it also. If I see a friendly looking cop I will ask.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

''International drovers Permit.

So it's for cowboys right?
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Fourkinnel wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:31 am
My previous Cambodian license which was plastic was ok in Thailand when I got stopped last year in Hua Hin. The cops said Asean so OK. I have this new shitty cereal packet material one now. I've been riding all over Issan but luckily never saw the cops once in 30 days. Not sure if they would have accepted this if they had pulled me in. Has the Thailand one changed to paper too?
In Philippines now, doubt they would accept it also. If I see a friendly looking cop I will ask.
ASEAN license are accepted in Thailand, supposed to be a thai license is accepted in Cambodia as well, but not according to the police that have stopped me LOL

Thailand is credit card style in english for 5 year one ( also has ur passport number and thai home address on it) ,not sure about the 1 year one
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:37 pm I know several people who have used the Cambodian license to rent cars in the US. Totally acceptable.
I have used the Cambo one-year license in Europe when renting from Hertz and Thrifty. No Problems.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

All good comments.

I've let my Australian driver's license lapse (annual medicals are a problem, even after handing in my truck classes) so I wonder if I could hire a car in Australia using my Cambodian license? :D
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic