Go Fund Me... Small business dream in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Go Fund Me... Small business dream in Cambodia

Post by angkorjohn »

Saving hard to rent somewhere? I'm not sure where they are but it doesn't cost much to rent a restaurant/apartment in Kampot or the Coast. How they can't save $500 I don't know, and with a name like Tabatha Jane I'm sure she's not from a council estate oop north....although I'm interested why did Jamie share it here for mockery as he's her friend? https://www.gofundme.com/help-start-our ... n-cambodia :stir:
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

saigonjackpot wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:38 pmA westerner can get enough to open a restaurant in Cambodia by using credit from the bank bavk home, this is just a feel sorry for me khmer scam.
Yeah, I can just see every British or American bank agreeing to loan a customer $2000 to start a street restaurant in Cambodia.
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

mauser765 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:58 pm
saigonjackpot wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:38 pmA westerner can get enough to open a restaurant in Cambodia by using credit from the bank bavk home, this is just a feel sorry for me khmer scam.
Yeah, I can just see every British or American bank agreeing to loan a customer $2000 to start a street restaurant in Cambodia.
As long as you say you have a vaguely plausible UK income and are on the electoral register then £2k is a piece of piss. At 23% APR, of course.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

angkorjohn wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:44 pm Saving hard to rent somewhere? I'm not sure where they are but it doesn't cost much to rent a restaurant/apartment in Kampot or the Coast. How they can't save $500 I don't know, and with a name like Tabatha Jane I'm sure she's not from a council estate oop north....although I'm interested why did Jamie share it here for mockery as he's her friend? https://www.gofundme.com/help-start-our ... n-cambodia :stir:
i doubt she is either hahaha...
not sure if i actually know her or not, my boxing dementia is getting worse with age %)

Support her or Mock her, publicity is publicity i guess...
makes no difference to me, we share a lot of mutual friends and it came up on my newsfeed so thought id put it out there
personally i think go fund mes like this are a joke, but each to their own,
they did have their shit stolen so theres a bit of pity there
:hattip:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

If you can't raise the capital to start the business, you shouldn't even consider going into business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:16 pm If you can't raise the capital to start the business, you shouldn't even consider going into business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are trying to raise the capital freely from people like me and you! They have probably been closely watching the government here, they may do well in a free business. :beer1:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

The first page of this thread is comedy gold. Thanks :thumb:

The thing is that she is a young female esl teacher in PP. With all the hours she could get and the privates, she could easily make three grand a month if she wanted to. I think they just want to be stars, or they're lazy fucks. I mean, I'm lazy, but come on...
See crook!!!
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:55 pm
angkorjohn wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:44 pm Saving hard to rent somewhere? I'm not sure where they are but it doesn't cost much to rent a restaurant/apartment in Kampot or the Coast. How they can't save $500 I don't know, and with a name like Tabatha Jane I'm sure she's not from a council estate oop north....although I'm interested why did Jamie share it here for mockery as he's her friend? https://www.gofundme.com/help-start-our ... n-cambodia :stir:
not sure if i actually know her or not, my boxing dementia is getting worse with age %)

makes no difference to me, we share a lot of mutual friends and it came up on my newsfeed so thought id put it out there
Fair enough Jamie :beer3:

but still whats $500 going to get them? Nothing here a bit of a deposit, no money for produce or bills, who's cooking or serving? so maybe wages involved unless the guy puts gramps to work I dont see how it would work neither of them seem business minded....I mean christ if you're going to embarrass yourself doing a GFM page at least ask for $10k even if you got 10% you'd have a grand.

They'd be better off getting a gofundme for gramps healthcare or a carer for him so the lazy boy could work and earn a crust. Maybe if tabatha cut down on the buckets and balloons at blue dog for a month they'd have the deposit in no time.....just a though :hattip:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

angkorjohn wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:34 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:55 pm

Fair enough Jamie :beer3:

but still whats $500 going to get them? Nothing here a bit of a deposit, no money for produce or bills, who's cooking or serving? so maybe wages involved unless the guy puts gramps to work I dont see how it would work neither of them seem business minded....I mean christ if you're going to embarrass yourself doing a GFM page at least ask for $10k even if you got 10% you'd have a grand.

They'd be better off getting a gofundme for gramps healthcare or a carer for him so the lazy boy could work and earn a crust. Maybe if tabatha cut down on the buckets and balloons at blue dog for a month they'd have the deposit in no time.....just a though :hattip:
yeah, from what ive seen you need enough money to start the business, and enough capital to get you through the first year expecting no profit or even break even,
otherwise it will just be another here today, gone tomorrow business you see all the time
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

one should never start ANY business unless one has enough money to set the business up 100%
AND have enough money saved to last 6 months, going on the assumption u will not make 1 $, Baht, Riel, Euro in that 6 months
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic