Are there invasive tree species here? IE how to burn wood yet not be part of deforestation

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
prettyvacant
Expatriate

Re: Are there invasive tree species here? IE how to burn wood yet not be part of deforestation

Post by prettyvacant »

hanno wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:48 pm
http://www.sgfe-cambodia.com/products
That's top info. Thanks!

So the cooking gas in the bottles is a refined petroleum product here? Not a "natural" gas at all, I guess.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Re: Are there invasive tree species here? IE how to burn wood yet not be part of deforestation

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Have you thought about solar ovens? You can build them quite cheaply yourself. Or go more advanced as in Auroville, India. They have a parabolic dish focused onto a copper water filled coil which super heats the water to produce steam, which they then use to cook with.
Bunch of hippies.
Last edited by AlonzoPartriz on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See crook!!!
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

there is only 1 true invasive species on this earth, its call homo sapien
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
prettyvacant
Expatriate

Post by prettyvacant »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:45 pm Have you thought about solar ovens?
Have not been to Auroville, but nearby. That ashram seems to have had its peak sometime in the seventies, hopefully not due to a lack of cooking ability :)
Anyway. No, a solar oven won't work for my purpose, but thanks for the input.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

prettyvacant wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:28 pm
AlonzoPartriz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:45 pm Have you thought about solar ovens?
Have not been to Auroville, but nearby. That ashram seems to have had its peak sometime in the seventies, hopefully not due to a lack of cooking ability :)
Anyway. No, a solar oven won't work for my purpose, but thanks for the input.
Nope, not dead by far. Nowadays it's full of French architects who pretty much run the quite impressve town hall building​.
The desert has become a lush forest, and there are a lot of interesting people experimenting and suceeding in bringing​ knew eco technologies to the world. The architecture is amazing. Well you'd expect it with that many architects about. They get there power from two windmills based in the southern tip of India because there's not​ enough wind where they're located. They just feed the power into the national grid and it pays for more power than they use I think.
The solar steam cookers/ ovens cook around 2-300 meals a day. Bunch of hippies.
See crook!!!
prettyvacant
Expatriate

Post by prettyvacant »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:49 pm Bunch of hippies.
Cool. Do they still have leather goods manufacture there? I got the impression that a lot of leather accessories (handbags, belts, etc etc) that were sold on Ebay in the old days (when Asian sellers first started selling there) were in fact from Pondi. Might be wrong though.

Always had an interest in Sri Aurobindo. Cool mix of guru and freedom fighter. He actually (probably) killed invaders. Pat on the back for that one.

Guess I'll have to go back to India. So little time, so many countries to go to.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic