Boat

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Boat

Post by AndyKK »

Just a few questions if anyone has knowledge on the subject.

What would one of these boats cost to buy in Cambodia?
What would be the legal requirements for a westerner to own?

Always "hope" but never "expect".
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Boat

Post by frank lee bent »

you may have to trawl through this site a bit, but he mentions prices sporadically and praises Sihanoukville's quality build
http://boatsandrice.com/TravelCambodia.html
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

go talk to Robert in snv, he has had a few boats built in Cambodia
currently runs the party boats
or my friend Rony, also in SNV (he knows everyone in the boat business there)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:44 pm Just a few questions if anyone has knowledge on the subject.

A bit off topic. But, have you ever owned a boat? A few thngs to point out if not.
The cost of buying it is usually a lot less than the cost of time, labour and materials added up to keep it maintained and running for a few years. Especially​ if it's a wooden one. They can pretty much rot to nothing in only three years if not mantained. Also, have you got somewhere safe to moor it? My boat was a constant worry to me back home if it was in the water. Thry can sink in so many ways. All ok if you have someone you can trust keeping an eye on it within viewing distance though.

Don't let that put you off too much though. Just something to be aware of. Boats are fantastic. I'd love a Viet fishing boat hull to do up and cruise about Vietnam in. It's a lot more tricky to own a boat there though.
You can own and captain your own boat here. I know several people who do.
See crook!!!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

it is entirely possible to have a great boating experience in this part of the world for a very cheap price.
in 1982 i had a 44 foot double ender schooner built on herreschoff lines and offsets in Java for blue water for an absurdly low price.
Halliburton bought it from me for a company recreation boat LOL.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:25 pm it is entirely pqossible to have a great boating experience in this part of the world for a very cheap price.
in 1982 i had a 44 foot double ender schooner built on herreshoff lines and offsets in Java for blue water for an absurdly low price.
Halliburton bought it from me for a company recreation boat LOL.
:thumb:

In 2002 you could have a dhow tradionally built in Lamu, Kenya. You could even help the guy and learn as you did it. Bow drills etc.lol
Cost was $1000. Took me 6 years to get back there though. By which time UNESCO had been and fucked up the town, and the mass tourists had turned up. Prices I had quoted then were $20,000. Gulp.
Most of the fishermen in Lamu now buy Zanzibarian dhows. They are truly beautiful. In 2009 I wax quoted around $4000 with a decent engine.

A couple of pics of Zanzibarian dhows.

ImageImage
See crook!!!
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:44 pm Just a few questions if anyone has knowledge on the subject.

The real question is what are you going to do with it? Go deep sea fishing and sell seafood at the market? Do you not have any idea of how dangerous it is to fish like that? And how many pirates are out there? You should read up on this subject.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Ronny NO I am not intending to go deep sea fishing, the locals do that themselves for their living. I like boats OK. And for pirates in Cambodian waters? The alternative consideration for me would be the more dangerous! Bring a boat from the UK like this one pictured. Then I would worry about pirates. But it's helpful to listen to good advice and also negative thoughts.

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:45 pm Image
That beautiful clear water reminds me of Ochheuteal beach.

:stir:
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:38 pm Ronny NO I am not intending to go deep sea fishing, the locals do that themselves for their living. I like boats OK. And for pirates in Cambodian waters? The alternative consideration for me would be the more dangerous! Bring a boat from the UK like this one pictured. Then I would worry about pirates. But it's helpful to listen to good advice and also negative thoughts.

I'd do some coastal cruisng and local island exploring. Also, in Vietnam there are masses of rivers. The hulls on those fisher's pull a shallow enough draft too I believe. I met someone​ working a boat he had bought with his mrs for a few years in the Mekong Delta. They'd make a great houseboat.

I'd love to do that long journey, but would prefer to get onboard wherever it starts to get warm in the nights. Lol
See crook!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic