Chinese Man on a TukTuk Fights Off 2 Phone Thieves, Knocking Them Off Their Motorbike in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Chinese Man on a TukTuk Fights Off 2 Phone Thieves, Knocking Them Off Their Motorbike in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

CAMBODIA NEWS: A Chinese man’s cellphone was seized by two male robbers on Moa Tse Dong Blvd Toul Svay Prey 1 commune, Chamkar Mon district, in front of Chinese Embassy at 11:50 pm on August 9th 2017. Luckily, the robbers failed to fleed with the cellphone they decided to run a way leaving their motorbike and the Chinese man’s phone behind.

The two suspects drove a black ZUZUKI Smash V, registration number Battambang 1N-7612 on Moa Tse Dong Blvd down south to seize the phone from a Chinese man who were riding a tuk tuk. Fortunately, the Chinese man aware of the robbery and tried to fight over the robbers to get the phone back caused the robbers’ motorbike fell over. That was how they abandoned their bike and the Chinese man got his phone back and moved on without reporting to the police, because there was no loss.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Chinese Man on a TukTuk Fights Off 2 Phone Thieves, Knocking Them Off Their Motorbike in Phnom Penh

Post by Anchor Moy »

Same story here ? ( Except the victim is Korean.)
So many phones getting snatched these days in PP, it's hard to keep up.
Phone thieves target tourist to no avail
11 August 2017
A tourist with quick hands didn’t let phone snatchers in Phnom Penh’s Daun Penh district ruin his holiday when they tried lifting his cellphone on Wednesday.

Police say the Korean man was checking a GPS app for the location of his hotel when two guys pulled up and grabbed the device.

Immediately taking it back, the visitor – aided by folks nearby, of course – shouted for the thieves to be apprehended.

The pressure of the situation caught up with the suspects, as they left their scooter behind and fled. Cops came later to take the moto and record a statement from the sprightly sightseer.
Koh Santepheap
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Chinese Man on a TukTuk Fights Off 2 Phone Thieves, Knocking Them Off Their Motorbike in Phnom Penh

Post by John Bingham »

I tried to translate that:
CAMBODIA NEWS: A Chinese man’s cellphone was seized by two male robbers on Moa Tse Dong Blvd Toul Svay Prey 1 commune, Chamkar Mon district, in front of Chinese Embassy at 11:50 pm on August 9th 2017. Luckily, the robbers failed to fleed with the cellphone they decided to run a way leaving their motorbike and the Chinese man’s phone behind.

The two suspects drove a black ZUZUKI Smash V, registration number Battambang 1N-7612 on Moa Tse Dong Blvd down south to seize the phone from a Chinese man who were riding a tuk tuk. Fortunately, the Chinese man aware of the robbery and tried to fight over the robbers to get the phone back caused the robbers’ motorbike fell over. That was how they abandoned their bike and the Chinese man got his phone back and moved on without reporting to the police, because there was no loss.
General Mackevili wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:51 pm CAMBODIA NEWS: A Chinese man’s cellphone was seized by two male robbers on Mao Tse Tung Blvd in front of Chinese Embassy at 11:50 pm on August 9th 2017. Luckily, the robbers failed to flee with the cellphone, instead they decided to run away, leaving their motorbike and the Chinese man’s phone behind.

The two suspects drove a black SUZUKI Smash V, with a Battambang plate 1N-7612 on Mao Tse Tung Blvd down south to seize the phone from a Chinese man who was riding in a tuk tuk. Fortunately, the Chinese man was aware of the robbery and tried to fight the robbers to get the phone back, which caused the robbers’ motorbike to fall over. Then they abandoned their bike and the Chinese man got his phone back and moved on without reporting it to the police, because there was no loss to him.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:19 pm Same story here ? ( Except the victim is Korean.)
So many phones getting snatched these days in PP, it's hard to keep up.
Phone thieves target tourist to no avail
11 August 2017
A tourist with quick hands didn’t let phone snatchers in Phnom Penh’s Daun Penh district ruin his holiday when they tried lifting his cellphone on Wednesday.

Police say the Korean man was checking a GPS app for the location of his hotel when two guys pulled up and grabbed the device.

Immediately taking it back, the visitor – aided by folks nearby, of course – shouted for the thieves to be apprehended.

The pressure of the situation caught up with the suspects, as they left their scooter behind and fled. Cops came later to take the moto and record a statement from the sprightly sightseer.
Koh Santepheap
All noobs should be aware of these types of Khmers will steal any electronics they can get there hands on, including phone chargers.

Just dont leave anything attended, they are sneaky fuckers , the ones who frown at barangs.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Phone-snatching occurs mostly in Phnom Penh, just like most snatch and grab thefts occur in PP. It does seem that more foreigners are being targeted recently and that makes the news. Locals have had to put up with this for some time.
FWIW; When we visited Siem Reap a few months ago my (Khmer) friends told me not to worry about this. They said there was no problem about bag-snatching and not to worry.
I always take care anyway, and I don't go out with anything worth stealing anyway. But, outside of PP no need to be paranoid, I think it's ok if you just use common sense.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I am afraid you are wrong Anchor Moy, plenty of bag and phone snatching in Temple Town, especially around Pub Street and Wat Bo street.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Would posters agree it come's in waves, the liking it is type of fashion, It works so we can do it too type of thing, easy money.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

hanno wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:08 am I am afraid you are wrong Anchor Moy, plenty of bag and phone snatching in Temple Town, especially around Pub Street and Wat Bo street.
It didn't sound very likely to me either, but this is what I was told. Maybe they thought it was what I wanted to hear. Or maybe they were just embarrassed (for me)that I have such an old unsmart phone and they were hoping someone would steal it so I'd get a new one. :D
But of course it's a thief's paradise. Lots of people with more money than sense getting wasted in the streets. Seems obvious.

What I can say is true, is that when I go to Phnom Penh, locals are constantly reminding me to be careful.( Like nobody ever gets robbed in SHV. Lol.)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

The bastards tried a late-evening bag-snatch on one of our homestay tenants the other night - she also is a martial fighter, and that didn't go so well for the would-be thieves.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

StroppyChops wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:08 pm The bastards tried a late-evening bag-snatch on one of our homestay tenants the other night - she also is a martial fighter, and that didn't go so well for the would-be thieves.
Snatch-Shit-Bash.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic