“Thai Police Robbed us” claim Belgian couple

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: “Thai Police Robbed us” claim Belgian couple

Post by sigmoid »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Fake cops.

The real Thai police rob tourists by fining them for: no helmets, no/improper DL/ID... or Immi blatantly extorts money to admit them into the Kingdom.
Sometimes they shoot them as well...

Thai police officer admits to killing Leo Del Pinto in 2008
http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/thai-police-o ... -1.1401597

A Thai policeman ran over a British backpacker in his car before shooting her twice after he had shot dead her boyfriend

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1471359 ... ceman.html

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:44 pm
hanno wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:34 pm I must be very lucky. Honestly, I would not pay anything to immigration even if they asked. As long as I have a valid passport and meet all the requirements to be granted entry, why should I.

Because Immi can always use their discretion to deny you entry. Your choice... pay or be held in detention until you're deported at your expense.
Really? I have flown into Thailand as often as once a month and they have never decided to deny me entry .
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

hanno wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 am
Cruisemonkey wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:48 am Fake cops.
More likely fake story.

I have never, even been asked for money by either Thai police or immigration; not sure where all these supposed events take place?
Asshat appologists all over the place on here. Thry were probably a mixed group of off duty cops and their mates.
See crook!!!
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

More likely fake story.

I have never, even been asked for money by either Thai police or immigration; not sure where all these supposed events take place?
Then you must be living under a rock and not paying attention, buddy. Hell, I just got back from the Immigration Department at Rangsit here in Bangkok today as I had to go get a proof of residency document in order to apply for an International Driver's License. No problem, right? Well, you see, the normal fee for this document is 100 Baht but the catch is you have to wait about 2 weeks for them to mail it to you. But hey, says the female immigration officer in a quiet whisper, we can pull a few strings and get it done today for you but it'll cost you 500 Baht. And she goes onto say that this is our little secret because she doesn't do this for just anybody but since I speak such clear and fluent Thai she would help me out. Isn't that great? So anyways, buddy, don't tell me there isn't corruption at the Immigration Department(s) because it's all around you. The problem is that you haven't been looking or you're so dim-witted you didn't notice it when it was in front of you.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:31 pm
hanno wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 am I have never, even been asked for money by either Thai police or immigration; not sure where all these supposed events take place?
And for all these guys claiming to have never experienced corruption or bribery from the Thai cops, well all I have to say is obviously they're not driving a car or a motorcycle because if they're driving around, there's NO WAY they haven't had a bad experience with Thai cops!

I have. The last straw was the asshole Immi supervisor at HKT extorting 2000 baht from me to let me into Thailand... cunt!

I spend my vacation money in Cambodia and Vietnam now. Fuck Thailand!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Ronny wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:04 pm
More likely fake story.

Then you must be living under a rock and not paying attention, buddy. Hell, I just got back from the Immigration Department at Rangsit here in Bangkok today as I had to go get a proof of residency document in order to apply for an International Driver's License. No problem, right? Well, you see, the normal fee for this document is 100 Baht but the catch is you have to wait about 2 weeks for them to mail it to you. But hey, says the female immigration officer in a quiet whisper, we can pull a few strings and get it done today for you but it'll cost you 500 Baht. And she goes onto say that this is our little secret because she doesn't do this for just anybody but since I speak such clear and fluent Thai she would help me out. Isn't that great? So anyways, buddy, don't tell me there isn't corruption at the Immigration Department(s) because it's all around you. The problem is that you haven't been looking or you're so dim-witted you didn't notice it when it was in front of you.
LOL
Normal fee is 100 baht

certificate of residence is FREE , and u get them while u wait, at least thats the way it is here in Phuket :plus1:
never ever paid for one

all my years here have never paid "extra" at immigration
nor have i ever paid anything to police
But than i know what is real and what isn't
and yes been driving cars and bikes, in fact i have been riding a Motorcycle with expired CA plates on it for the last 18 years and never had any trouble with police
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ronny wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:04 pm Then you must be living under a rock and not paying attention, buddy.
If you are a resident in Thailand there will of course be extra annoyances and bureaucracy to deal with. That's a bit different from being blatantly kidnapped and robbed. It's not too difficult for anyone to pretend to be a cop, and besides that real cops can be sketchy as fuck too. Otherwise the story sounds weird.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I got ripped off for 7000 baht by Thai pigs..I manged to recover 5000 of it by complaining to the Tourist Police.

Pigs be pigs everywhere, from NY to the far east.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

hanno wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:13 pm
hanno wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:34 pm I must be very lucky. Honestly, I would not pay anything to immigration even if they asked. As long as I have a valid passport and meet all the requirements to be granted entry, why should I.

Because Immi can always use their discretion to deny you entry. Your choice... pay or be held in detention until you're deported at your expense.
Really? I have flown into Thailand as often as once a month and they have never decided to deny me entry .
I think he's referring to land borders, the immigration turds at airports are always better behaved, richer people arriving, more cameras, more chance of people witnessing, and more chance of serious consequences
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

vladimir wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:26 pm
hanno wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:13 pm

I think he's referring to land borders, the immigration turds at airports are always better behaved, richer people arriving, more cameras, more chance of people witnessing, and more chance of serious consequences
Good point, I have only ever used the land border 2-3 times.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic