Eating dog meat in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Eating dog meat in Cambodia

Post by AndyKK »

lordofmisrule wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:39 am Yeah I've seen cat for sale on the same stretch of road, just hnging there on the side of the road, surprised me the first time.
Yes! They did have cats too. in fact they had all manner of small wildlife. One of I had recognised was Heron.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

'TICKING TIME BOMB' Sales of dog and cat meat surge on food apps in Vietnam and Cambodia after doctors claim it can ‘fight off coronavirus’
Rebecca Husselbee
Apr 17 2020, 11:35 ET
The coronavirus crisis has led to a surge in the sale of dog and cat meat through food delivery apps in Vietnam and Cambodia, an investigation has found.

Despite other countries looking to reduce the sale and consumption of live animals, doctors in the region are encouraging many to eat dog and cat meat, claiming its properties help fight off viruses.

The shocking investigation, carried out by the animal charity FOUR PAWS, revealed that not only have sales risen, sellers have adapted to the market by offering the meat on food delivery apps as a takeaway option.

The horrendous trade came to light over fears that the coronavirus pandemic was sparked by a live exotic animal market in the city of Wuhan, China, back in January.

FOUR PAWS veterinarian, Kathrine Polak, said: "The unsanitary conditions associated with the cat and dog meat trade, coupled with the contamination risks of having so many different animal species caged and killed alongside one another, present the perfect breeding ground for new and deadly diseases, like COVID-19.

"The rampant trade and live animal markets across Southeast Asia are ticking time bombs.

"If governments do not act now and shut down these cruel markets, the next global pandemic might originate in Vietnam, Cambodia or Indonesia."

Despite the global pandemic, the continued sale of dog and cat meat in the region has seen a transition from a cruel ‘dine-in’ to a ‘to-go’ service.

With 110 dog meat restaurants across Cambodia's capital of Phnom Penh, vendors are taking sales one step further by offering dog dishes on food delivery apps.

Vendors can also be seen wearing facemasks on the roadside as they hand out bags of dog meat for customers to eat or prepare at home.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/698548/sal ... 1587141044
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Makes perfect sense. Dog meat has been known since ages ago to help cure tuberculosis which is a lung disease.
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

so sad...
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Donations must be drying out, I say fake news.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bullshit story from the Sun, likely completely made up or expanded from some report from a tiny area.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

The key message should have been the unsanitary conditions of selling meat on the roadside possibly spreading the virus. But sadly the Sun mixed it with the western sensationalism of dog and cat meat. Because (in my opinion), emotion and sensationalism sells.

In South Korea, some dogs are bred of meat in special farms, just like chickens and cows. So there are dogs for pets and dogs for food. The two do not mix.

I know I have crossed into controversial waters, so please excuse my indulgence.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:19 am The key message should have been the unsanitary conditions of selling meat on the roadside possibly spreading the virus. But sadly the Sun mixed it with the western sensationalism of dog and cat meat. Because (in my opinion), emotion and sensationalism sells.

In South Korea, some dogs are bred of meat in special farms, just like chickens and cows. So there are dogs for pets and dogs for food. The two do not mix.

I know I have crossed into controversial waters, so please excuse my indulgence.
Cats go into the soup the old ladies peddle. Seen them do it at the roadside. never wondered why cambodian cats are so shy?
The issue I have with dog meat is the stories of the inhumane way they are killed. apparently the animal has to be terriifed to produce adrenaline which either is supposed to improve the taste or improve the medicnal abilities and thats where you get horrific videos of dogs being skinned aliev or otherwise tortured. in the west we try to kill animals humanely because we think it ruins the flavour if they are scared
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

pczz wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:21 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:19 am The key message should have been the unsanitary conditions of selling meat on the roadside possibly spreading the virus. But sadly the Sun mixed it with the western sensationalism of dog and cat meat. Because (in my opinion), emotion and sensationalism sells.

Cats go into the soup the old ladies peddle. Seen them do it at the roadside. never wondered why cambodian cats are so shy?
The issue I have with dog meat is the stories of the inhumane way they are killed. apparently the animal has to be terriifed to produce adrenaline which either is supposed to improve the taste or improve the medicnal abilities and thats where you get horrific videos of dogs being skinned aliev or otherwise tortured. in the west we try to kill animals humanely because we think it ruins the flavour if they are scared
Yeah its when they shit themselves. Changes the whole flavor of the meat
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
WineOxley
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by WineOxley »

Anyone here actually ever taste Dog or Cat meat here in the KOW?
Lands and cities are left astern,your faults will follow you whithersoever you travel.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic