Decent hi-fi sound from computer

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Decent hi-fi sound from computer

Post by vladimir »

I have a desktop with a generic woofer and two satellite speakers.

As most of you know, the sound is way too bass-oriented, and I need something better, more treble, closer to what an audiophile wants.

I was considering a component system, a decent amp and speakers.

Any suggestions?

I'm listening to 70's rock, classical and world music.

If jm were still around, he would be the guy to talk to, I guess.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Re: Decent hi-fi sound from computer

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

That's a difficult one. What's a decent sound? A good clean bass that goes down to 20 hz and a top end of 16 khz. Smooth response inbetween? First thing I'd do is get a 24 bit sound card then you know it's the speakers that are definately crap.
I was considering buying a larger system not too long ago. I think maybe try Logitech? They sell for a decent price at Chantra's. They have quite a few models in their range. They also sell BOSE, but again I'd check the warranty to make sure it's not a Chinese rip-off, or second-hand though. Lol.
See crook!!!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I have a 64-bit OS with 24-bit plus sound card and 7GB memory...I have FLAC files...but still it lags...I suspect PCs were designed for pop

BOSE are superb for bass...but I am wearying of bass... AR does the best combination, or Infinity, Technics/ Kenwood used to be superior
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

my laptop is hooked up to all this :D
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Yeah, that's what I'm desperately trying to avoid, LOL
Khartoum
Expatriate
Sudan

Post by Khartoum »

AlonzoPartriz wrote:... I think maybe try Logitech? They sell for a decent price at Chantra's. They have quite a few models in their range. .
A friend has the Logitech z533 speakers and really impressive - think they are 40w RMS.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:19 pm my laptop is hooked up to all this :D

:D :thumb:

It seems Youtube is restricting copyright again. If it doesn't play from the links, search for Disco Boy Zappa Youtube.

Or if that doesn't work here's Twobobs club mix on SoundCloud.
Listen to Frank Zappa - Disco Boy (In the Hall of the Disco King remix) by Twoвoв #np on #SoundCloud

See crook!!!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Thinking of getting an old component system amp and some old three-way speakers
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

vladimir wrote: old three-way
Reminds me of a Sophie's girl
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

vladimir wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:28 pm I have a 64-bit OS with 24-bit plus sound card and 7GB memory...I have FLAC files...but still it lags...I suspect PCs were designed for pop

BOSE are superb for bass...but I am wearying of bass... AR does the best combination, or Infinity, Technics/ Kenwood used to be superior
New speakers won't stop lagging audio.

Are only the FLAC files stuttering?
Sounds like you need to increase your audio buffer and latency. If your soundcard is set too low, like a 256 sample buffer, the workload to continuously cycle through very small chunks of high sample rate/bitrate audio is quite high, even for good sound cards.
What sound driver are you using? ASIO? Find your audio buffer and try 1024.

In terms of speakers, all cheap consumer level speakers are made to emphasise low end and voice, and PC type speakers are even worse. Flat response speakers are notoriously hard to find. The 'best' flat speakers are Yamaha NS10s, if you want to ebay/amazon some.

Cambodian houses are also terrible for audio. 4-5m wide shophouses will create standing waves at 68 - 86Hz (344m/s ÷ 4m = 86 Hz), so you'll get a 'doubling' effect right at the low end. Add a 4m ceiling and you've got a cube/oblong sound destroying box. Re-position your speakers so they're at a tangent to any flat surface/wall in your house to minimize the standing waves.

If you can find an old Pioneer amp with a good multiband EQ (the more bands, the better) and a set of speakers, get them, and tune out the low end 50 - 120Hz until you find a happy medium.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic