GSM closing?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: GSM closing?

Post by John Bingham »

As for Boeungs, there are a whole lot, Boeung Raing, Boeung Keng Kang 1 -3, Boeung Prolit, Boeung Trabek, Boeung Tumpun, Boeung Salang, Boueng Kak 1-2, Boeung Thum, Boeng Kambaor, Boueng Ponhea Pon, Boeung Khnam, Boeung Pech, Boeung Chhuk, Boeung Kreul.
These are just names of communes or villages within the city districts and there are loads more. There's a village on Chruoy Changvar simply called Boeung. Which is helpful.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:11 pm As for Boeungs, there are a whole lot, Boeung Raing, Boeung Keng Kang 1 -3, Boeung Prolit, Boeung Trabek, Boeung Tumpun, Boeung Salang, Boueng Kak 1-2, Boeung Thum, Boeng Kambaor, Boueng Ponhea Pon, Boeung Khnam, Boeung Pech, Boeung Chhuk, Boeung Kreul.
These are just names of communes or villages within the city districts and there are loads more. There's a village on Chruoy Changvar simply called Boeung. Which is helpful.
And don't forget, 'boueng' means lake (or, a reclaimed lake ).

:facepalm:
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:54 pm
lordofmisrule wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:23 pm
I assumed he meant Boeung Kak, I first saw it in 99 I think when it was ok but was starting to be too backpacker to be that great already, just round the corner also on the adjacent side of the lake was a majorly seedy red light area with no red lights, just wooden shacks on marshland with wooden paths going to them, so seedy, curious as to which street that has morphed into now, could it be 71? Surely not? It was kind of like chicken village in snooky but more marshy and dark, anyone remember that?
I was first there the same time. That was a dodgy area around north of the lake, past the French Embassy. It was all brothel shacks for a few hundred meters. I got brought there after me and a mate had bought a couple of beers and played pool a bit with our drivers. It was 2 AM and I wandered about a bit but was kind of freaked out cos the place was dodgy as fuck, I thought there were Chinese gangsters everywhere but thinking back they were probably just local ones. I didn't hang around long, that street is a bunch of banks, modern shops,offices and schools nowadays.
That was Oknah Kleang Moeung street 70 or the Toul Kork Dyke Road. I did a lot of work in that area in the late 90's on health related issues. Heres a picture.

Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Kuroneko wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:51 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:54 pm
lordofmisrule wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:23 pm
I assumed he meant Boeung Kak, I first saw it in 99 I think when it was ok but was starting to be too backpacker to be that great already, just round the corner also on the adjacent side of the lake was a majorly seedy red light area with no red lights, just wooden shacks on marshland with wooden paths going to them, so seedy, curious as to which street that has morphed into now, could it be 71? Surely not? It was kind of like chicken village in snooky but more marshy and dark, anyone remember that?
I was first there the same time. That was a dodgy area around north of the lake, past the French Embassy. It was all brothel shacks for a few hundred meters. I got brought there after me and a mate had bought a couple of beers and played pool a bit with our drivers. It was 2 AM and I wandered about a bit but was kind of freaked out cos the place was dodgy as fuck, I thought there were Chinese gangsters everywhere but thinking back they were probably just local ones. I didn't hang around long, that street is a bunch of banks, modern shops,offices and schools nowadays.
That was Oknah Kleang Moeung street 70 or the Toul Kork Dyke Road. I did a lot of work in that area in the late 90's on health related issues. Heres a picture.

As much as I love them you're old time pictures are depressing me since same as locals I tend to enjoy the present rather than looking back.
Still and not wishing to further derail the subject I should look for some pictures of 51/Pasteur street when by pure fate I rented the corner roof top appartement opposite of WA for the best part of the early 00's. I kind of remember the street was still much an enduro rider paradise mess as I had to fit the first glass windows that flat had ever seen to block a daily 1/2 inch of fine dust winding up 15m up into it. :horse:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:25 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:11 pm As for Boeungs, there are a whole lot, Boeung Raing, Boeung Keng Kang 1 -3, Boeung Prolit, Boeung Trabek, Boeung Tumpun, Boeung Salang, Boueng Kak 1-2, Boeung Thum, Boeng Kambaor, Boueng Ponhea Pon, Boeung Khnam, Boeung Pech, Boeung Chhuk, Boeung Kreul.
And don't forget, 'boueng' means lake (or, a reclaimed lake ).

:facepalm:
No shit? I thought it meant Boeing, as in Boeing B-52 or 787 or whatever. You learn something new every day. But you never find Boeung Ek.

:?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic