Joma coming to Toul Thom Puong

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rick o'shea
Expatriate

Joma coming to Toul Thom Puong

Post by rick o'shea »

So the banner says, hung outside the old Coffee House/Wine store /Apros Pub.

Their third location - but is Joma any good? I've only ever had their seedy bagels out of Angkor Mart. (Seedy as in covered in all kinds of seeds, not sordid and disreputable!)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Joma coming to Toul Thom Puong

Post by StroppyChops »

Had an excellent authentic seeded bagel in a TTP establishment last night, once these hit the market I'll be celebrating Jewish culture daily.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
rick o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick o'shea »

Joma's don't seem like authentic bagels though, like the ones available at Vegos. More like plain white bread in a bagel shape, but good value for the 6 packs.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I don't know Joma's product but the one I sampled was very authentic, made by a certain American expat. I'm looking forward to them being commercially available, I'd even queue up.
Last edited by StroppyChops on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rick o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick o'shea »

StroppyChops wrote:I don't know Joma's product but the one I sampled was very authentic, made by a certain American expat. I'm looking forward to them being commercially available, I'd even queue up.
Sounds good. Which establishment is that?
Last edited by rick o'shea on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

rick o'shea wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:I don't know Joma's product but the one I sampled was very authentic, made by a certain American expat. I'm looking forward to them being commercially available, I'd even queue up.
Sounds good. Which establishment is that?
Brother Jay over at Brooklyn Pizza is about to unleash a full range of bagels from his new bakery through his soon-to-be opened retail outlet. Sampled them last night, he's still tweaking the recipe but they're easily as good as any I've had.
Last edited by StroppyChops on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

And The Wine Store! Oh la la!

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
4000islandsguy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by 4000islandsguy »

Living in Laos where they started I have never been impressed with the quality of their products. They are not ridiculously over priced' at least here. The other issue I have is they are evangelicals, to each their own but I don't feel the personal need to support businesses that have an agenda that I don't necessarily agree with. I would take a fatboy sub over a sandwich from JOMA.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Living in Laos where they started I have never been impressed with the quality of their products.
Yes, that's right.

Joma and a number of similar restaurants (Swedish Pizza, Scandinavian Bakery, Common Grounds, Kh0p Jai Der, Chokdee Cafe, Via Via, et al) probably couldn't survive 06 months in an actual city with a competitive culinary milieu.

But in the village-like atmosphere of Vientiane, these places thrive with tourists, expats and affluent locals flocking to them on a daily basis. Offering a fairly close facsimile of western food in a quiet, clean, air-conditioned setting with free wifi is enough, because where else is the "In Crowd" going to go?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic