when would you pull your plug

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

when would you pull your plug

Post by phuketrichard »

as one get older, death becomes reality at some point.

I have lived a fuck of a good life, Been on my own since i left home at 16 an still managed to complete hs an university,
Made tons of $$ an lost it, begged on the streets of SF & Delhi for food, slept on the banks of the Nile and stayed at the Oriental hotel in Bangkok.

All in all done it on my own terms.

BUT i have decided that if it comes to the point that i can no longer feed myself, take a shit or walk on the beach, i would end it.

Never had Medical insurance ( don't believe in it) so cant imagine a long hospital stay to prolong my life.

What is your "pull the plug point"?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: when would you pull your plug

Post by vladimir »

Too much pain.

Had a herniated disc years back and came close...
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Pain can be handled ( especially if you live in Asia)
BUT agree if there is no chance it would end.....time to check out
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

When I am irreversibly in so much pain or so useless that even my loved ones see the mercy of death for me. Being dead is easy for the dead. It's the people who love and need you who suffer for it. I stay alive not only for me, but for them as well.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

LTO wrote:When I am irreversibly in so much pain or so useless that even my loved ones see the mercy of death for me. Being dead is easy for the dead. It's the people who love and need you who suffer for it. I stay alive not only for me, but for them as well.
:good:
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

In Cambodia extreme pain is a two-edged sword, Yes, certain drugs are more available, but you will quickly become addicted.

I had a kneecap removed back home and they gave me something like morphine after I woke up, fantastic relief, but they refused to give me more.

A week of hell.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

LTO wrote:When I am irreversibly in so much pain or so useless that even my loved ones see the mercy of death for me. Being dead is easy for the dead. It's the people who love and need you who suffer for it. I stay alive not only for me, but for them as well.
I watched my aunt go from a women to a small child an died in a hospital in a fetus position after deteriorating for a year. We both were in Pain for months on end
Vs
My mom;
diagnosed with cancer Jan, month later went to hospital for 3 days
returned home an as soon as i arrived from Thailand 2 days later died peacefully in her sleep on a snowy morn.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

"I" have never been born, so there's no need to think about it.
Last edited by sigmoid on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

the "problem" is, humans have always hope.

even if you have bad pain, there will be (naturally) times/dates, when its less, and you will look forward to those.

you will try alternative stuff (medicine whatever) and not stop searching for a solution.

also, there is indeed brilliant medication for pain - and no, it doesnt have to be morphine.
also, all of those who wrote (i think), do have their "loved ones" (haha) at the side, which will support you and be there for you.

i dont think, anyone would pull the plug for pain.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

During my down times, I was on the verge of jumping off the 2nd floor off my balcony...I pussied out; which is kind of stupid anyway...if I really jumped I just broke bones. Then I contemplated about my wife and daughter what life would be without me. Believe or not, the donated money gave me some inspirations, and my wife thought it was a miracle, and so do I (nobody cares about me ever since my mother passed away). So I live on for the sake of my family. I hate my life. Unproductive and useless in this suppressed society.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic