British Expat PAUL ANTHONY "TONY" ATHERTON (Former Manager of Shanghai Bar in Phnom Penh) Dies at Age 73

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

British Expat PAUL ANTHONY "TONY" ATHERTON (Former Manager of Shanghai Bar in Phnom Penh) Dies at Age 73

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

CAMBODIA NEWS: PAUL ANTHONY "TONY" ATHERTON (not Tony Byrne), a 73 year old British national who was formerly the manager of Shanghai Bar on Street 51 in Phnom Penh and NOT the owner of Tony's Bar near Psar Thmei, which he opened in 2005, just 2 months after arriving in Cambodia, has reportedly passed away a few days ago.

No further information about PAUL ANTHONY ATHERTON's death has been released at this time. May he rest in peace and condolences to all his friends and family.

"It is with deep sadness that we would like to announce that Mr. Tony former Manager of Shanghai Bar died 2 days ago. Other information will be provided in the next few days.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
krisduncs
Expatriate

Re: British Expat TONY BYRNE (Former Manager of Shanghai Bar in Phnom Penh) Dies at Age 66

Post by krisduncs »

RIP Tony.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: British Expat TONY BYRNE (Former Manager of Shanghai Bar in Phnom Penh) Dies at Age 66

Post by General Mackevili »

RIP.

Not sure I ever knew him. Does anyone know what years he was the manager in Shanghai Bar?

One of the presumed owners of the new Chaplin Bar in Phnom Penh on Street 108 was a former manager there too. I think I recognized him though.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
krisduncs
Expatriate

Post by krisduncs »

He managed some years ago now,but has been working there again very recently,for only 3 or 4 days a week. He was from St Helens in northern England. A big everton fan.
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

RIP. Tony co-managed Shanghai with Geoff Steele (also RIP) from 2007 till 2012, if I remember correctly.

Tony Byrne was never associated with Tony's Bar. That Tony moved to Sihanoukville to run Ezecom's business on the coast. Not sure what he's doing now since the purge.
krisduncs
Expatriate

Post by krisduncs »

To correct the post,Tony who just passed away was Paul Anthony Atherton,73 years old. Worked at Shanghai bar. He died of an aneurysm in his tummy.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

chkwoot wrote:RIP. Tony co-managed Shanghai with Geoff Steele (also RIP) from 2007 till 2012, if I remember correctly.

Tony Byrne was never associated with Tony's Bar. That Tony moved to Sihanoukville to run Ezecom's business on the coast. Not sure what he's doing now since the purge.
krisduncs wrote:To correct the post,Tony who just passed away was Paul Anthony Atherton,73 years old. Worked at Shanghai bar. He died of an aneurysm in his tummy.
Thanks, we will make corrections. That info came from a Cambodia Daily article that has mysteriously disappeared since this was posted here. Strange that.

I will post the article, and could anyone guess as to why it was seemingly pulled?

"Expat Bars in City Top 100, Guidebook Says

BY THE CAMBODIA DAILY | OCTOBER 5, 2005

New Bird, Love Story, Soda and Slippery Sam. If the names of these bars sound unfamiliar, it is most likely because all of them have opened during the past few months in Phnom Penh.

According to the new edition of the “Phnom Penh Pocket Guide,” the number of bars competing for at­­­tention from the city’s expatriate re­sidents and tourists has topped 100.

Tim Gibbons, co-owner of the free brochure, said that on average one new bar opens each week and that between 100 and 110 bars are cur­­rently in operation. “In a city as small as Phnom Penh that is a lot,” he said.

Although Cambodians manage some of the bars, many are run by ex­patriates, Gibbons said, adding that most foreigners who open a bar in Phnom Penh tend to make the decision fast rather than laying out a solid business plan.

“There is quite a common syndrome here. People go here on holiday and end up buying a bar. Then they find out that there are no customers and they go back to Europe or the States,” Gibbons said, adding that many bars have nothing to distinguish them from the competition.

“There are an incredible amount of bars opening that look like the one next door,” he said.

At Shanghai bar located on street 51, one of Phnom Penh’s most popular bar streets, British manager and chef Chris Davies said a friendly atmosphere keeps the customers coming back.

“It’s all about customer service. When people come in here I greet them and make them feel welcome and the girls look after them. That’s what it is all about,” he said.

Among other things, Davies em­phasized that live sports, beautiful girls and “Cambodia’s best Sun­day roast” are the main reasons why the bar—that claims to be “Phnom Penh’s premium singles bar”—is do­ing well.

British national Tony Byrne, 54, opened Tony’s bar near Phsar Thmei in April, just two months af­ter visiting Cambodia for the first time.

“I liked the place and always fancied opening a bar,” he said, though he added that even though Tony’s earned him enough to get by, the competition among Phnom Penh’s bars is tough.

“I would say that out of 100 bars, 30 to 40 are running a good business,” but of the others, he said: “You just have to walk past them. There is no one in them.”

Leafing through the bar section in The Pocket Guide, Rory Barry, the Irish owner of Rory’s Pub, pointed out some of the new bars in Phnom Penh.

“The Butterfly Bar is new, own­ed by a Swedish guy. Barbados is new too, he’s an Italian. The Red Rooster I don’t think has opened yet. There is a good 20 bars opening in the last year,” he said.

After traveling around Asia for a couple of months, Barry arrived in Phnom Penh in 2003 and opened his Irish pub, restaurant and guesthouse in November 2004.

According to Barry, most bars do a lot better during the tourist sea­son from mid-October till mid-March when European and US tourists arrive in large numbers.

“For some [bars] it’s their sole in­come and they will struggle through the low season,” the 32-year-old former accountant said.

“You’ll hear this quote all the time: ‘I just have to make enough money to pay the bills,’” he said.

“But the problem is that often the bars don’t make that money. It takes quite a lot of work,” he added.
"

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/ ... ays-50050/
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Did I mention the snake I ate in Tony's bar when Paul Guymon was still around? What an afternoon!
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Tony's bar Tony was an Aussie who was going home due to cancer or something. This Tony is a Pom, hard as fuck. I can't believe he is gone.
I ran into him one night years ago when he was going to every bar looking for someone who would have been shitting. He told me another night that he got in a fight in one of the bar streets and after the bloke punched him twice in the head, he thought this is serious.
Took glasses off and bashed the shit out of him. He was a tough old bastard.I liked the man.
RIP
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

General Mackevili wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:28 pm That info came from a Cambodia Daily article that has mysteriously disappeared since this was posted here. Strange that.
Why did you post that Tony Byrne died when he's still alive? The Cambodia Daily didn't say that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic