I was unaware of this....SSSS

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

I was unaware of this....SSSS

Post by Bertros »

I've never noticed this on any tickets before and it may be a USA/TSA only thing.
anybody?

These 4 Letters GUARANTEE You a Longer Wait at Airport Security

The quadruple S (abbreviated by some airlines as simply *S*) stands for Secondary Security Screening Selectee, and means exactly what is sounds like: Selected passengers can expect additional TSA screening after the initial metal detector rigmarole. According to a leaked CIA assessment of the program, this could involve any number of additional methods including pat-downs, intrusive bag checks, and further questioning.

http://www.rd.com/advice/travel/airport ... ty-wait/1/

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: I was unaware of this....SSSS

Post by General Mackevili »

Heard of it, but never seen it in any of my boarding passes. Apparently, once you see it, you can expect to see it every time, and it's a nightmare to get off of it.

Seems silly they would tip people off ahead of time that they will be selected for secondary searches.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

The 4 S's have been around for many years now. I had it once and they opened by carry-on bag and I got a pat down. Later I was suggested that the reason was that I purchased my ticket for that international flight just 24 hours before the flight. Apparently that is a red flag. Many frequent flyers that I know are fully aware what SSSS means on your boarding pass. You are right, if you see it you would abort whatever bad thing you were planning on doing and get the hell out of the airport. I would think just having Phnom Penh as a destination might get you the S's.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

I used to get it on my boarding passes in the USA all the time, despite travelling first class. I was a single male flying on one way tickets. Then they picked up on my frequent flyer status and i ended up in the express queues.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

once coming out of mexico, in the 70"s, i was pulled aside and gone thru with a fine comb
i asked the custom official if i was on any "list" and he said, there is no such list,
i just laughed as i had gotten tons of info about my past thru the "freedom of information act" It showed i was to be flagged on all arrivals into the states.
Back than it was NOT on ur boarding pass, but after immigration the official would see in the computer u were flagged and would place the SSSS on ur customs form.
took a few years to get off it
“The Department of Homeland Security estimates that about 12 percent of U.S.-bound passengers are randomly selected for additional screening at overseas airports.”
I was told about 10 years ago, by a nice customs guy, that every 10-12th passenger is searched even if u weren't flagged
he didn't say a word about the 4 box's of Valiums i had :-)
he only wanted to know how i liked living in Thailand
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic