change sterling to dollars in the UK or when i arrive in Siem Reap?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: change sterling to dollars in the UK or when i arrive in Siem Reap?

Post by willyhilly »

Cambodia money changers offer the actual rate, not like banks. I think they must charge money launderers the vig, they will pay for clean money. Vespa money changers are my store. I changed a lot of US for Aussie a while ago and he said to me , why do you want cash? We can put it straight into your australian account at the real rate.
I think it's the Chinese informal banking system. You can deposit any amount of money at a grocery store or moto seller anywhere in the world and it will be remitted overnight anywhere you want. Without the bank charges-4% or so in Australia.
Vespa has lots of old Vespas lying around, they were originally moto repairers. I have their card here,Kim Ngoun Currency Exchange. Tel:011/016/0888 858677.
They speak english and can tell you the rate and the best denominations.
It's good you are excited. It is pretty damned good, still.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

https://www.fairfx.com/

Seems to have a good rep

Also heard good about this

https://monzo.com/
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Brewer
Expatriate

Post by Brewer »

Fourkinnel wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:10 pm
Did you take that photo on the way out of Birmingham? If so, can I ask what route you opted for? Birmingham is a pretty shite considering it likes to tout itself as an "International" airport, it's no better than most other regional airports when it comes to going anywhere I have wanted to go. There's not really any such thing as a long-haul direct flight from BHX.
Went to Dubai, 2 hours later on flight to BKK. Emirates. No issues apart from 30 mins late.

Few weeks before, flew from there to Bucharest Romania. Blue Air. Total fuck up, 1 hour 45 mins late, boarding took longer than the 30 mins they announce the gate number, sweating my ass off, sitting on a plane with no AC on hottest day of year.
The Middle East is my favoured non-direct route, too. However, as I said, I would now opt for a direct flight to Asia from Heathrow or Manchester whenever possible and get most of the fucking about done in the UK.
SamSalmon
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by SamSalmon »

Thank you guys - super handy having this forum, much appreciated. Im a newb at this so not sure if i need to start a new post but i have a couple more Q's.
Buying electronics - mobiles laptops etc would you suggest i buy them in the UK (so i know they are not countertfeit) or are they cheaper and original over there.

Opening a Bank Account ...do i need to get a flat first, will i need to provide address....

thanks in advance....cant fucking wait to get out there :)
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bobsboots »

It was over two years ago last time I arrived here.
[/quote]
Shit, Jamie, mate. I never knew it had been that long. Maybe that is why Trapper is saying Snooky is shit and our beloved non-violent, Finnish hipster is demanding to know why people in Snooky hate so much. We need you back. Roll on October. Winter has arrived, but we can't send a raven as Bran has become the raven now. Fuck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic