Up in smoke: $1M drug burning ceremony

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Up in smoke: $1M drug burning ceremony

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

7 August 2017.
Nearly 400 people assembled to watch a drug burning ceremony held this morning at Preah Vihear Provincial court. A large amount of confiscated drugs were destroyed, including 149,466 tons of minerals. , 6,384.5 mg methamphetamine, 1,357 small methamphetamine packs, and 174 Big pack. 2 large packages of cacao, 7 wicker baskets, 166 kilograms and 12 bulk packets. 2 bags and 1 bottle of pure water, worth about $ 1 million.
ImageImage
http://www.rasmeinews.com
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Re: Up in smoke: $1M drug burning ceremony

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Surely they must of all been off their heads standing that close? Especially the guys with the long sticks. Those cheap face masks wouldn't save them.
See crook!!!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

149,466 tons of minerals. , 6,384.5 mg methamphetamine, 1,357 small methamphetamine packs, and 174 Big pack. 2 large packages of cacao, 7 wicker baskets, 166 kilograms and 12 bulk packets. 2 bags and 1 bottle of pure water, worth about $ 1 million.
I'm not sure if that sounds like a lot of drugs or not?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

A bottle of pure water, now thats the hard stuff....
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I think they should publicise these events among expats, Sts 104-136 would be empty at every event, they would be fighting for seats to have a ringside whiff.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

vladimir wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:27 am I think they should publicise these events among expats, Sts 104-136 would be empty at every event, they would be fighting for seats to have a ringside whiff.
I was going to say that, where the fuck is my invite? I have a blue mask and a broom handle
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

must be a misprint some wheres.... (nums are approx.)

150,000 tons of 'minerals' is 300 million pounds== 300,000,000.

even if it was very heavy like water, (63lb/ft3) that would be over 4 million cubic feet!

not sure that pile of stuff is 4 million cubic feet.

just sayin'

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Authorities burn more than 100 kilograms of drugs
8 August 2017
- Authorities from four provinces, along with the Ministry of Justice, set more than 100 kilograms of drugs ablaze at the Preah Vihear provincial hall on Monday.
Meas Sam Oun, chief of Preah Vihear police’s anti-drug office, said yesterday the burned drugs likely had a street value of more than $1 million.

“We burned a total of 137 kilograms,” he said. “The drugs were seized during crackdowns according to warrants from the courts from previous years and this year, and from four provinces, including Kampong Thom, Siem Reap, Oddar Meanchey and Preah Vihear,” he said.

“The burning ceremony was overseen by Ang Vong Vathana, the Minister of Justice, court prosecutors, governors and deputy governors of the four provinces,” he added.

The drugs destroyed included methamphetamine, marijuana, as well as cocaine. The majority was methamphetamine, in both powder and pill form, said Mr Oun.

The drugs burnt that were confiscated from Preah Vihear were seized during the first six months of the government’s anti-drug campaign that kicked off this year, Mr Oun added.

The National Authority for Combating Drugs said police cracked down in 4,331 cases and arrested 9,694 suspects in the first half of the campaign.
They also seized 119.657 kilos of heroin, cocaine and crystal methamphetamine, 13,635 kilos of dry marijuana and 140,361 marijuana plants, as well as confiscating 54 vehicles, 962 motorbikes, four guns, nine rifles, 2,953 phones and money.

Compared with the last six months of 2016, drug arrests in the first half of this year increased more than 130 percent...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5077055/aut ... ams-drugs/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I think they should publicise these events among expats, Sts 104-136 would be empty at every event, they would be fighting for seats to have a ringside whiff.
like public execution
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

frank lee bent wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:10 pm
like public execution

people "fight to have ringside whiffs" at public executions?

leave me out thank you.

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic