Cambodia's PM wants US-born grandchild to not be American

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

[Associated Press]
SOPHENG CHEANG
Associated Press August 4, 2017

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) — The prime minister of Cambodia, a country whose uneasy relationship with the United States has involved war, refugee emigration and years of on-off political tension, says he does not want his U.S.-born grandchild to have an American passport.

HE, whose country was the site of one of the 20th century's most terrible genocides, says he is worried his 14-year-old grandchild could be eligible to fight for the U.S. military.

HE said he was looking for a way for his grandchild, whom he did not name, to give up his or her U.S. citizenship.

"Now I am finding a way to renounce U.S. citizenship from my grandchild because probably the U.S. will make war with some countries and will require my grandchild to be a U.S soldier," he said in comments posted on Facebook on Thursday.

The grandchild was born when his or her parents were studying in the United States. HE, 64, and his wife Bun Rany have six children, including one adopted daughter they have disowned. Most if not all of them had some education abroad, including son HM, who attended the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Cambodia's PM wants US-born grandchild to not be American

Post by cptrelentless »

Surely this is more about having to pay tax rather than anything else, they don't have the draft any more. The US government also takes a dim view on bribery and graft. Makes it difficult to stick all your ill-gotten lolly in their name.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I'm not an expert on international law nor am I aware of the grandson's age but his parents or he can simply renounce US citizenship. There's a fee involved but certainly HE can afford it for the peace of mind it would give him.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Publicity, the media machine Cambodia style....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

cptrelentless wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:49 pm Surely this is more about having to pay tax rather than anything else, they don't have the draft any more. The US government also takes a dim view on bribery and graft. Makes it difficult to stick all your ill-gotten lolly in their name.
no draft but you do have to register:

Under current law, all male U.S. citizens between 18–25 years are required to register with Selective Service within 30 days of their 18th birthday. In addition, non-U.S.-citizen men between the ages of 18 and 25 (inclusive) living in the United States must register.

it's still an all volunteer force though. I would assume the chances of this person having to serve to be zero.
it's strictly a political move...nothing more.

I will say this though....

it really stings us Americans, I can't begin to tell you how much learning this has ruined my day.

what, oh what will we ever do!?!?!?!?

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
MikeMike58
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeMike58 »

it really stings us Americans, I can't begin to tell you how much learning this has ruined my day.

what, oh what will we ever do!?!?!?!?
:plus1:

Not enough money in illegal logging in the U.S. Army.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

This isn't aimed at the US it's almost certainly intended for his Chinese overlords.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Many of the opposition leaders hold dual citizenship. That'll be illegal for law-makers soon.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by soup »

He could probably wait until a war broke out and a draft was implemented.

The fee to renounce has gone up to about 2500 dollars, and they can still come after you for back taxes if you owe.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Isn't it, if he's born on US soil, he's American? I didn't think anyone could take that away -- unless the grandson after age 18 (?) decides for himself.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic