Rocky Red Soil

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Rocky Red Soil

Post by Luigi »

Howmabout some weeds. Sea oats?
LIke something no one has found a use for. Maybe some some tall ranging allergy inducing weeds. I really want to stop the erosion while I source some coco, papaya, frngipani & what ever else will help.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Luigi wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:59 pm Howmabout some weeds. Sea oats?
LIke something no one has found a use for. Maybe some some tall ranging allergy inducing weeds. I really want to stop the erosion while I source some coco, papaya, frngipani & what ever else will help.
In that case you could plant some couch grass. It will 'run' and cover the entire area. You just need to run a brushcutter/whipper-snipper over it once a month. Plant your fruit trees amongst the grass.
You end up with a nice lawn with fruit trees. :thumb:
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Thaks for that. That sounds like the best idea so far. Would you know the Khmer name?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Sorry don't know the name of couch in Khmer, but grass is s'mov (mov pronounced like 'mow' the lawn).

I'm pretty sure that you can buy rolls of lawn from the garden/plant places.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:33 pm Sorry don't know the name of couch in Khmer, but grass is s'mov (mov pronounced like 'mow' the lawn).

Is couch grass maybe same as kudzu?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Luigi wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:27 pm
Username Taken wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:33 pm Sorry don't know the name of couch in Khmer, but grass is s'mov (mov pronounced like 'mow' the lawn).

Is couch grass maybe same as kudzu?
No.It is a grass that spreads (like the pic below). You just need to trim it to encourage it to grow sideways, this will force it to spread out and cover the area. Eventually, it will spread over the entire area holding the soil / ground below together.
You could get your own from most riversides.

You'll notice on the top and bottom right of the pic a couple of grasses emerging from the ground. This is because this grass has tuberous roots which spread under the ground. Also good for anti erosion.

You could just rip that grass out of the ground with your hands, then plant it at your place and it will grow.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Back in the US we call it Crab Grass.
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

Luigi wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:53 pm
Seasquatch wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:03 am The soil of Burma is red, and so are it's rocks - The Burmese Harp 1956.

That was as helpful as a hemroid.
Sorry, just jogged a memory.
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^^Problems tend to ease in warmer climates.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic