"Murder in Russeo Keo - tuk tuk Capital to GSM"

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

I always wondered how the tuktuks managed to get away with using their police radios for pick-ups. I have always understood that a lot of the established tuk tuks are run by off-duty policemen. Strange that it doesn't make the link-up in the article.

Two-way radio ban floated

"Tuk-tuk associations lashed out at City Hall yesterday after it was revealed authorities are planning to ban drivers from using transceivers, claiming the use of two-way radios is interrupting police work.

Following a meeting yesterday at City Hall between governors and police representatives, deputy Phnom Penh Governor Mean Chanyada said the city’s two largest tuk-tuk associations will soon be banned from using transceivers.

“We will not allow their members to use transceivers because it affects security,” he said. “If they still want to use transceivers, they’ll have to ask for permission from the Interior Ministry.”

Police representatives and Phnom Penh governor Khuong Sreng said during the meeting that tuk-tuk drivers’ use of transceivers interrupts police work and must be stopped, Mr Chanyada said.

“If they use transceivers, we will take action by the law,” he added, without clarifying what law bans their use.

Vorn Pao, president of the Independent Democracy of Informal Economy Association, said tuk-tuk drivers do not use the same channel as police services and therefore it is impossible that they interfere with police work.

“I think that City Hall is confused about this point,” Mr Pao said, noting that drivers need the two-way radios to communicate and coordinate rides for customers.

Mr Pao said such a ban could have a negative effect on business for drivers and added that if tuk-tuk drivers are banned from using transceivers, everyone else should be as well.

E Sophors, president of the Cambodia for Confederation Development Association, said drivers that are members of his association spent a significant amount of money on some of their transceivers.

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5076383/two ... n-floated/

I've also heard the police have to buy their own uniforms and equipment themselves.
See crook!!!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: "Murder in Russeo Keo - tuk tuk Capital to GSM"

Post by AndyKK »

They could use mobile phones. Smart to Smart is free.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

What has the title got to do with the post? How can you get a tuk tuk from the capital to GSM when GSM is already in the capital?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
lordofmisrule
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by lordofmisrule »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:41 am
What has the title got to do with the post? How can you get a tuk tuk from the capital to GSM when GSM is already in the capital?
Maybe capitol guesthouse to gsm? Is capitol guesthouse still around?
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

just give them their own channels - I dont think the police in the whole of PP operate just on one set of frequencies. They must have different channels for regions and departments. Just err rent some channels to the tuk tuks and reprogramme the Motoroal GP300's they use... a radio that came out in 1988! and I if I recall was phased out around 93...at least they dont have older crystal sets because changing frequencies on them means a new crystal for each new transmit and receive frequency..
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

They have plenty of new radios too, some of them even have touch screens.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

lordofmisrule wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:48 am
Yes, Capitol, notice the capital C. The tuktuk drivers never pronounce it properly though, Capitul, they always say Capital.
I haven't a clue how they pronounce GSM though, probably GSsuM.
See crook!!!
lordofmisrule
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by lordofmisrule »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:30 pm
lordofmisrule wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:48 am
Yes, Capitol, notice the capital C. The tuktuk drivers never pronounce it properly though, Capitul, they always say Capital.
I haven't a clue how they pronounce GSM though, probably GSsuM.
i think I heard them saying Sorja mall back when I used to use tuk tuks, or rather I got taken to gsm when I asked for Sorja mall but actually wanted sorja mall rather than gsm.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ask the older ones to take you to "Guk Pay Jay" - PJ prison.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic