Bar Owners in Sihanoukville Being Watched

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Bar Owners in Sihanoukville Being Watched

Post by OrangeDragon »

Lets test it with Phuket, since it's a place you're rather familiar with instead of one you haven't seen in 6 years, but one I've never been to. I'll just go off of what Agoda has to say and you let me know how close it is:

Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket: 5 Stars (an 8.3 ranking out of 10) based on 597 reviews.
Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort: 5 Stars (an 8.7 ranking out of 10) based on 264 reviews.
Avista Phuket Resort & Spa, Kata Beach: 5 Stars (an 8.6 ranking out of 10) based on 1510 reviews.
Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Villas: 5 Stars (an 7.6 ranking out of 10) based on 1319 reviews.
Avista Hideaway Resort & Spa Phuket: 5 Stars (an 8.5 ranking out of 10) based on 900 reviews.

One of the things Agoda does that I really like is that the ONLY people who can review are ones who've booked there via Agoda... this cuts out the whole sockpuppet mess as well.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

what do u want from me? i own my house an although have been to these places have never been inside ( except the Centra ) and it is 5 stars

the problem is not with -5 star places but places that are 1-2, 3 star and trying to add another star or star and a half to them

I have seen the 5 star places in SHV ( Song Saa and Sohka) last year as did photos for someone that wanted them and they qualify
most rating systems now are averaged votes of users
BULLSHIT star ratings have zero to do with reviews,
the rankings are user based
Every hotel fills out a questionnaire when they sign up with an agent and on it is a checklist

many 5 star places are only giving 5 star after a visit from a rep
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

phuketrichard wrote:
most rating systems now are averaged votes of users
BULLSHIT star ratings have zero to do with reviews,
the rankings are user based
Every hotel fills out a questionnaire when they sign up with an agent and on it is a checklist

many 5 star places are only giving 5 star after a visit from a rep
ok, Agoda stars don't... the 1-10 rating does. the stars are by their reps visiting (which is still a lot more than your suggestion that the owners just tell them how many stars).

but i still stand on my statement that MOST are rated on users responses. if you had read that fully, instead of singling in on the little bit, you'd have seen I was ASKING a question.

Examples of user based star ratings i can think of off the top of my head:
TripAdvisor
Amazon
Google
Yelp

This is just sort of "how star ratings on the internet work" now, and those that haven't moved that way are rather archaic and behind the times. Certainly the minority.
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Not trying to derail the tread but didn't a Phnom Penh restaurant get caught out last year for upping its own reviews and dishing its rivals? It was on Trip-advisor I think and was a riverfront restaurant.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Yep. And that's the danger of user reviews below a certain threshold of quantity. Once you get 500 1-2 star reviews... having 10 friends/fake accounts give you 5s doesn't do much for you.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Rather than jump on me
you dont read do you?
ok, Agoda stars don't... the 1-10 rating does. the stars are by their reps visiting (which is still a lot more than your suggestion that the owners just tell them how many stars).
nor do booking.com (agoda and booking are both owned by priceline) an hotel travel ( based here in Phuket) base their star on the same system
Reps usually ONLY visit places asking for 5 stars

ON the checklist is how many rooms, air con, wifi, pool,beach front, 24 hour rests etc etc.

you check which ones apply.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

giblet wrote:
It's an up-and-coming dump.

I don't understand the surprise about the Russians. Russians have always been one of the primary communities in Sihanoukville--the only thing that's changed is that they're now on Serendipity, too.
LoL, that should be their new slogan!

And well said about the Russians. They've been a huge expat group people have been talking about living in Sihanoukville since I've arrived in Cambodia.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

And maybe this is unrelated, but I thought a 5-star hotel was based on facts, like staff per guest ratio, number of restaurants, etc, and had NOTHING to do with what people "thought" about them.

A 5-star status vs a 5-star review is totally different.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

General Mackevili wrote:And maybe this is unrelated, but I thought a 5-star hotel was based on facts, like staff per guest ratio, number of restaurants, etc, and had NOTHING to do with what people "thought" about them.

A 5-star status vs a 5-star review is totally different.
yep :beer3:
but according to OD we are wrong
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

When a resort location takes off in a big way it would be safe to assume that it will attract top hotels that are owned or managed by the big chains. I wouldn't have thought they're rating varies across the particular brand, they replicate the formula and the manager has to make sure he operates the corporate handbook or he gets canned. I'm sure they get audited by the chains own people regularly. I would expect them to use sites like Trip Advisor etc to get free customer feedback to be used by the manager and the auditors.

When I look for a hotel/guesthouse/flop house I set the parameter on price as a startpoint and check what's offered and the reviews, however WackyJacky or Jacked Camry's, ( sorry can't check back as I'm composing ), suggestion about looking at the best deal by star rating in case of special offers is one of the best ideas i'd never considered. Cheers for that :thumb:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic