2017 KoW price breakdown,.,.,

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: 2017 KoW price breakdown,.,.,

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

bobsboots wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:29 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:38 am
bobsboots wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:38 am
That is a good deal, I agree. Shame I'm moving to PP, not Thailand though lol
You can get a similar fry-up in Rising Sun or 3 Mangos for $5.
Cheers. Will check them out.
3 mangos are meant to do a decent fish and chips too
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:20 am
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:48 am Anyone been to the Capitol Guesthouse just back from Monivong recently ? I always stay/stayed in a local hotel round the corner on Monivong and the Capitol was my regular breakfast place, a couple of hours sorting out the previous nights hangover with a Pork Rice Soup, a fresh baguette with ham, pickle and tomato, a coke, coffee and lots of the free tea. A great value and tasty start to the day, I've sure it was always in the 10,000 to 15,000 riel range A couple of years ago they tarted the interior up a bit, ( wouldn't be difficult I know ), gave them all walkie talkies and new uniforms and the menu and prices changed. To me it signified in a small way the changes happening around PP when you also had all the slightly scruffy dive bars closing as well. Hope it's still going strong.

I saw on my facebook feed from the Retox owner that they sell on average 150 of those breakfasts a day in low season 350 in high season, a tall order for any place in PP, SNV or SR maybe. Anyway since they plan on opening a place in Phnom Penh you may be able to try it out in the not too distant future.
I went to the Capitol for brekkie every now and then when I was living at Orussey. It was ok, nothing to rave about though, pretty average I thought. They obviously do a lot of trade from their bus customers. Terrible location for the buses though, the traffic around Orussey is gridlock during the day. On my way back from Kampot last time, I could tell it was going to take 20 minutes to go the final 200 meters so I asked the driver to open the door and let me off so I could walk home.
It was I believe the first guesthouse that was ever opened here, in around 1990. Under the previous government policies visitors were only allowed to stay in government run hotels like the Samaki ( La Royal) and the Monorom. So it pretty much was at the forefront of the low-budget tourism here, previously it was not at all cheap to visit here, if you could even get a visa. When I visited here first I stayed on the riverfront for a bit and then ended up at Capitol. It was cheap and clean enough, I never cared for the food much though, once I figured out there was a restaurant on the opposite corner of the block that did much better food. At the time the big market hadn't been built yet, it was just an empty lot. A few years back an old friend organized to meet up there, and I laughed at how little it had changed. I still pass by there the odd time and have a look in, and if they did any refurbishments they aren't at all obvious. They don't care, the coach service has eclipsed the guest-house revenue long ago.
Here's a picture I took from the balcony of the Capitol in 1999. Not much has changed, it's just a lot cleaner looking now with more going on business-wise.

As you can see it doesn't look that different now, just a tad cleaner, but the people on the top floor still have the same screen:

Silence, exile, and cunning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

What you mightn't notice in the first picture is that all the shops on the side street were pretty grim looking black caves at the time. You can see there's no signage. Auto parts and grease and no electricity.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:13 am
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:20 am
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:48 am Anyone been to the Capitol Guesthouse just back from Monivong recently ? I always stay/stayed in a local hotel round the corner on Monivong and the Capitol was my regular breakfast place, a couple of hours sorting out the previous nights hangover with a Pork Rice Soup, a fresh baguette with ham, pickle and tomato, a coke, coffee and lots of the free tea. A great value and tasty start to the day, I've sure it was always in the 10,000 to 15,000 riel range A couple of years ago they tarted the interior up a bit, ( wouldn't be difficult I know ), gave them all walkie talkies and new uniforms and the menu and prices changed. To me it signified in a small way the changes happening around PP when you also had all the slightly scruffy dive bars closing as well. Hope it's still going strong.

I saw on my facebook feed from the Retox owner that they sell on average 150 of those breakfasts a day in low season 350 in high season, a tall order for any place in PP, SNV or SR maybe. Anyway since they plan on opening a place in Phnom Penh you may be able to try it out in the not too distant future.
I went to the Capitol for brekkie every now and then when I was living at Orussey. It was ok, nothing to rave about though, pretty average I thought. They obviously do a lot of trade from their bus customers. Terrible location for the buses though, the traffic around Orussey is gridlock during the day. On my way back from Kampot last time, I could tell it was going to take 20 minutes to go the final 200 meters so I asked the driver to open the door and let me off so I could walk home.
It was I believe the first guesthouse that was ever opened here, in around 1990. Under the previous government policies visitors were only allowed to stay in government run hotels like the Samaki ( La Royal) and the Monorom. So it pretty much was at the forefront of the low-budget tourism here, previously it was not at all cheap to visit here, if you could even get a visa. When I visited here first I stayed on the riverfront for a bit and then ended up at Capitol. It was cheap and clean enough, I never cared for the food much though, once I figured out there was a restaurant on the opposite corner of the block that did much better food. At the time the big market hadn't been built yet, it was just an empty lot. A few years back an old friend organized to meet up there, and I laughed at how little it had changed. I still pass by there the odd time and have a look in, and if they did any refurbishments they aren't at all obvious. They don't care, the coach service has eclipsed the guest-house revenue long ago.
Here's a picture I took from the balcony of the Capitol in 1999. Not much has changed, it's just a lot cleaner looking now with more going on business-wise.

As you can see it doesn't look that different now, just a tad cleaner, but the people on the top floor still have the same screen:

nice! :)
do you know where abouts the bar is that they filmed a lot of scenes in the City of Ghosts movie is?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:19 am What you mightn't notice in the first picture is that all the shops on the side street were pretty grim looking black caves at the time. You can see there's no signage. Auto parts and grease and no electricity.
Mostly tile and bathroom suppliers along that stretch now. And a few hairdressers on the other side. Thanks for the interesting info and pic.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Thanks for the history and photos on the Capitol, very interesting. :thumb: Part of why I like it as a visitor is because of the bus station transit point, it's always a hive of activity and a great people watching spot over a bite.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:27 am
do you know where abouts the bar is that they filmed a lot of scenes in the City of Ghosts movie is?
It's just across from the main post office, but it was never actually a bar in real life.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:54 am
It's just across from the main post office, but it was never actually a bar in real life.
thanks
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:52 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:54 am
thanks
It was called the ‘Hotel Belleville’, in the film.

The ‘Hotel Belleville’, Phnom Penh, 2008
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i have been in there a few times to photograph,
Volley ball courts out back and a nice pool hall as well
its been home to squatters forever.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic