Englishman MARK SMITH (Golden Bridge International School Vice Principal) Arrested in Cambodia for Child Sex Crimes

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Englishman MARK SMITH (Golden Bridge International School Vice Principal) Arrested in Cambodia for Child Sex Crimes

Post by phuketrichard »

wouldn't the 2 posts above( from something 4 years ago) be better off in a separate thread??
MODS??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Marcus-Darkus
Expatriate

Re: Englishman MARK SMITH (Golden Bridge International School Vice Principal) Arrested in Cambodia for Child Sex Crimes

Post by Marcus-Darkus »

Ignore
Last edited by Marcus-Darkus on Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Conclusion.

newsworthy/belgian-murder-suspect-olly- ... tml#p17515

General Mackevili

Belgian Murder Suspect (Olly) Flees Cambodia on Bail

PostWed Jul 09, 2014 10:37 am
He did the right thing.

" A Belgian man who was released on bail from Kampot Provincial Prison after spending a year detained as the chief suspect in the murder of a French tourist said on Monday that he had returned to his home country

Olivier van den Bogaert, 41, was arrested in April 2013, about 10 weeks after the body of 25-year-old Ophelie Begnis washed up on the bank of the Kampot River.

On Monday night, despite the ongoing investigation into the murder of Ophelie Begnis, Mr. van den Bogaert said via email that he was back in Belgium.

The murder suspect declined to say how he had managed to leave the country.

Police and court officials said Tuesday that authorities had possession of Mr. van den Bogaert’s passport, but none could agree on exactly which authorities had it.

Appeal Court Judge Khun Leang Meng, who in April ordered Mr. van den Bogaert’s release due to a lack of evidence, said the Kampot Provincial Court was responsible for keeping the passport.

The investigating judge confiscated [Mr. van den Bogaert’s passport] already,Judge Leang Meng said, before hanging up on a reporter.

Kampot Provincial Court Investigating Judge Hang Sokun Vathana said the court prosecutor had confiscated the suspect travel document.

The prosecutor confiscated [the passport] already,” Judge Sokun Vathana said, declining to elaborate on what he said was secret court investigation

However, Ek Chheng Huot, the provincial prosecutor, said he did not know about Mr. van den Bogaert’s case, and referred all questions back to the Appeal Court.

Kampot police said last week that they had no evidence against Mr. van den Bogaert and that they were still searching for a red-haired foreigner in connection with the case, but declined to give further details.

Nicolas Baudouin, first secretary at the French Embassy, said that while the case was still open in France, local police are leading the investigation.

"It is up to the Cambodian police and the investigating judge to take care of it" he said

http://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/belgi ... ail-63581/

So , no appology after a year in prison then. He was just released and allowed to leave the country unofficially and secretly, without even seemingly being, according to authorities, in possession of a passport.

We, the expat community, are left with " Police said they were still searching for a red-haired foreigner in connection with the case, but declined to give further details.

Why was he arrested and why did the investigating magistrate decide to imprison him for further investigation? On evidence that the bike they found in the river belonged to the victim. Even though it was of conventional Chinese design very common in Cambodia, and the person who rented the victim the bike said there was only a 25% chance it was the same one.
And three Khmer witnesses​ had given information that led to a bike being found in the river.
I quote, 'the police had spoken with three witnesses – two male boat operators and a woman – and had discovered the victim’s bicycle."
Why was he identified as the bike thrower? Because of a jacket he had given away around three months before.

Still no mention of a Cambodian suspect, even though the MO of a lot of Cambodian rape/ murders are carried out in a very similar way. Brutally raped, hacked to death by machete, or multiply stabbed then dumped on open ground or found in a pond or river. As in the recent case of the gang rape and murder of a young Khmer woman in Otres. Gang raped by her ex husband and friends, stabbed multiple times, then dumped on open ground.

Was he set- up and innocent, but still had to negotiate a sum as in the case of Gregg Fryett who alleged he was asked to makes bribes of $500,000 to obtain his release? Or did he pay a large sum to get unofficially released because he was guilty? You see? The real injustice to him and everyone is that we'll probably never know. Thanks Cambodia. Although, to be quite frank, the Cambodians have to put up with this shit as well. And a lot more often. Scapegoats are everywhere.

Loss of face in Cambodia is not to be laughed at.
Last edited by AlonzoPartriz on Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 17 times in total.
See crook!!!
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

:-o
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:31 am wouldn't the 2 posts above( from something 4 years ago) be better off in a separate thread??
MODS??
Why? What's your point? No relevance? I'm sure his family members would be interested to read it. It's for that reason that I put it here. Use your brain.

Btw, I knew Olly and I couldn't see him doing it. One can never be sure though what someone is capable of, but my instincts said it wasn't him. That time they were right. I think. How will we ever know for sure when there are Fiasco's such as the above one concerning a guest house owner in Kampot? So I can have some sympathy for those who know Smith and are defending him on instinct.
Last edited by AlonzoPartriz on Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
See crook!!!
sousadeyy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by sousadeyy »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:55 am
sousadeyy wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:58 am
vladimir wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:56 pm
sousadeyy wrote:It is now clear that this is no longer a case of whether Mark is guilty or not. A more accurate assessment would now be that Mark is a victim of a crime. Through firsthand evidence and being involved in communications outside what is published online, I am 100% sure of Marks innocence. All stakeholders involved in the case know Mark is innocent. A man is having his liberties denied, his life ruined and potentially his families life savings disappear because of vindictiveness and ignorance on multiple levels.

It is clear that there is no evidence in the case. Or even realistic reason for him being detained against his will. This whole matter needs to turn a corner away from 'Has Mark Smith committed sex crimes? and more towards how can a community work to help Mark Smith get his life back.

I don't want to list such individual points of evidence which prove marks innocence and complete corruption. I don't think that is wise at this point as proceedings are ongoing. But believe me this is an innocent victim picked up off the street and stripped down in every way possible.
So you have absolutely no irrefutable evidence of innocence or guilt, and you decry people just acting based on their feelings, but we're supposed to accept your feelings as a foundation of credibility?

Do Mark a favour, don't represent him. :P
I do have irrefutable evidence of innocence, as I say proceedings are ongoing, it would be wisest not to state anything. I know its not of value but I was just putting it out there. I am sure there would be a time in the future when it would not be so harmful to share what I have witnessed. I look forward to doing that. Until then, Mark is innocent, fact.
Please , go share ur info with the police and HELP HIM<
Until then ,
Shut the fuck up
:stir:
ha! go share your info with the police and HELP him.......... They know he is innocent.... There is no fair investigation or fair trial happening.

https://www.ibanet.org/Article/NewDetai ... eb512395d7
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"There is no fair investigation or fair trial happening."

Oh, how shocked you are! Certainly you thought because of your status as foreigner you were immune to the justice that is dealt out to poor or disfranchised Khmer. Nearly 50 posts of righteous indignation. Did the trial of chuap samlap get as many blood curdling cries of outrage. No, the bottom line is this hit home; the sword of Damocles hangs over every long term foreigner. So, repeat the.mantra "heat and kitchen" until you are enlightened and take the blinders off. Oh and let the Khmer solve what they perceive as problems. UNTAC fucked up enough already.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:40 am :-o
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:31 am wouldn't the 2 posts above( from something 4 years ago) be better off in a separate thread??
MODS??
Why? What's your point? No relevance? I'm sure his family members would be interested to read it. It's for that reason that I put it here. Use your brain.

Btw, I knew Olly and I couldn't see him doing it. One can never be sure though what someone is capable of, but my instincts said it wasn't him. That time they were right. I think. How will we ever know for sure when there are Fiasco's such as the above one concerning a guest house owner in Kampot? So I can have some sympathy for those who know Smith and are defending him on instinct.
NO one EVER knows someone else and what they are capable of
Justice in Cambodia LOL
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Re: Alert about British pedophile Alan Smith aka

Post by soup »

PhnomRon wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:13 am
General Mackevili wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:03 am
8) And what seems to be a popular stance, she is 100% sure that Mark Smith did not do the crime, as she's been married to him for 9 years and he would never ever do this, saying "he loves children so much."

Michael Jackson really loved children too and people misunderstood that and he was also falsely accused of child molestation and found not guilty of all charges.
Sandy Gallin, a person whom I knew, and a big pot head, was Michael Jackson's manager. He shared an apartment with Dolly Parton on 5th ave. in NYC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Gallin

I can quote Sandy; "Michael's gay".

In my opinion, Jackson was guilty, and his marriage was a shame to cover up his lifestyle and keep the money flowing.

Based on what I have read, so far, about the accused teacher, in this case, I think the radio woman has an agenda. She seems to be racist and, at the expense of a foreigner, she has a titillating story to shop.
In an honest court of law, there is not enough clear evidence to convict, unless they have a video of him leaving the school with her and walking her to his house.
In the court of public opinion, he's fried.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

soup wrote:
8) And what seems to be a popular stance, she is 100% sure that Mark Smith did not do the crime, as she's been married to him for 9 years and he would never ever do this, saying "he loves children so much."

Michael Jackson really loved children too and people misunderstood that and he was also falsely accused of child molestation and found not guilty of all charges.
Sandy Gallin, a person whom I knew, and a big pot head, was Michael Jackson's manager. He shared an apartment with Dolly Parton on 5th ave. in NYC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Gallin

In my opinion, Jackson was guilty, and his marriage was a shame to cover up his lifestyle and keep the money flowing.

Based on what I have read, so far, about the accused teacher, in this case, I think the radio woman has an agenda. She seems to be racist and, at the expense of a foreigner, she has a titillating story to shop.
In an honest court of law, there is not enough clear evidence to convict, unless they have a video of him leaving the school with her and walking her to his house.
Do you think there's been enough evidence to "arrest" though?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by soup »

General Mackevili wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:16 pm
soup wrote:

Do you think there's been enough evidence to "arrest" though?
I don't think that Cambodia has a fair judicial system, although, fortunately, I have no first-hand experience.

Do they have the ability to arrest, yes, as does any police force in the world! Are they corrupt, yes. Does money hold a place in the process, yes! Are the courts corrupt? Probably.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic