Encryption

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
potty
Expatriate

Re: Encryption

Post by potty »

for all i know, there are very strong and precise requirements regarding encryption algorithms...

first, regulates what is permitted to "export" (to other countries, i think this is to make sure its nothing used by the military) and then the goverment will always demand the algorithm, so that they can decrypt the info.

thats normal procedure.
Last edited by potty on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

encryption is very important, not because of the government or wireless transfers, but your laptop can be stolen, or you loose your external HDDs etc etc...
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

potty wrote:encryption is very important, not because of the government or wireless transfers, but your laptop can be stolen, or you loose your external HDDs etc etc...
That. I doubt the NSA has ever bothered to read any of my emails, and they definitely haven't liked or commented on any of my Facebook posts.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

General Mackevili wrote:Sorry, but this is related...

My Samsung Android phone has an option to encrypt it. Says it will takes hours to do.

I've always wanted to do that, but does it slow things down? Will it take an extra 30 minutes to boot it up every time or anything like that?

#clueless
I have my data partition encrypted on my android phone and tablet. Takes about an hour to encrypt (32gb) but guess it depends on your processor and storage capacity. It makes boot up about 15 seconds longer when it decrypts.

The downside is, except by using a xposed module, your decryption key is the same as your screen unlock key. So if you choose a good one it will be annoying to enter every time you need to unlock your device.

I'm glad I'd encrypted as when my phone got pinched in bali they couldn't access my documents. Do a lot of mobile banking and had heaps of personal family court documents on there. Etc...
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

^ Exactly the info I was after, thx.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Adds about a minute of boot time on our Moto's, otherwise no change - worth it IMO.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

General Mackevili wrote:
potty wrote:encryption is very important, not because of the government or wireless transfers, but your laptop can be stolen, or you loose your external HDDs etc etc...
That. I doubt the NSA has ever bothered to read any of my emails, and they definitely haven't liked or commented on any of my Facebook posts.
Fair enough. I also don't keep anything on my laptop that can be used to harm me financially/etc. All of the cloud services I use (FB, gmail, etc) provide me the option to automatically log my accounts out across the board and change the passwords.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Thanks for all the info.
I'm going to stick with BitLocker because it is convenient and I don't have anything important to encrypt. It's good to be discreet though.
Scarier than malaria.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic